Monday, May 13, 2013

Curtain Call: The Kinks From 1967


I have a love/hate relationship with the Kinks' 'Live at Kelvin Hall.' The sound quality is pretty poor, but damn if, through the muck, you don't feel like you're one of those screamin' Glaswegian birds, circa April 1, 1967. What a time to see the lads, too. 'Face to Face' had been out for about six months, and 'Something Else' was only a few months away. Like many albums I select for the Curtain Call series, this is one of those "oh, if I could time travel" moments I'm sure you have had when listening to your favorite live recordings as well. Here's one of the band's biggest hits, making it all the way to the top spot in the UK and No. 14 across the pond in '66. Hope this crackly piece of vinyl helps kick off your week.

The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon (Live) (mp3)

1 comment:

Séamus Duggan said...

I love the way the screaming washes over the sound in waves.