Sunday, April 21, 2013

OMD's Best Since...


One of my most solemn moments of the day is while washing the dinner dishes. Tonight, for the third night in a row, I listened to the new OMD album as I scrubbed in quiet contentment. I started thinking about the band's best moments in the studio when it hit me that I might like 'English Electric' better than just about anything they have done in the past 30 years. I'm wondering what you readers think. I imagine your all-time favorite would be found among OMD's first four albums, but what about after that? If you have a moment, please vote for your favorite album, post-'Dazzle Ships,' on the first ever Linear Tracking Lives! poll in the upper right corner of the blog. If you have more than a moment, expand on your answer in the comments section below. Feel free to rant and rave about OMD.

Update: The polls are closed. 'Junk Culture' and 'English Electric' ruled the day. 'Crush' was the only other album that received votes. Thanks for participating.

2 comments:

Echorich said...

It's a brilliant record!!
Wow, thinking about the best release of their career. I tend towards the album that confused most people - Dazzle Ships. OMD were attempting to punch holes in the musical bubble they found themselves in (that Prisoner bubble comes to my mind). But Architecture and Morality is a simply beautiful record as well and points to new directions.
But English Electric finds them confident and playful. It pays tribute to their catalogue and influences as well. I've been listening to it more than anything else since I got it.

Uncle E said...

I voted for English Electric up there, but it was a tight race between this brilliant return to form and Junk Culture, which was the last album by OMD that I really thought blended the experimental with the glossy pop they became known for (post John Hughes). Junk Culture, IMO, gets lost in their discography, and it shouldn't. Worth it for the amazing instrumental title track (their best) alone. But this new one is, as Echorich said above, brilliant!