Friday, April 5, 2013

Nearly Time for Next Marshall Crenshaw 10"


I really enjoyed the first 10" in Marshall Crenshaw's subscription series. Truth is, I'm not a subscriber, but I bought "I Don't See You Laughing Now" during the Black Friday edition of Record Store Day last fall. After the purchase, however, I felt like I had painted myself into a corner. I knew I would want all of the records in the series, but now I had bought a la carte without even knowing if any of the other records would even be available without a subscription. That's why I was so pleased to see the second 10" on the list for the next edition of Record Store Day.

As with the first EP, "Stranger and Stranger" will be on colored vinyl and individually numbered. If you are unaware of the format, each EP has a brand-new original, followed by an inspired cover and a new recording of a Crenshaw classic. This time around, the cover is "(They Long To Be) Close To You" by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Yep, the one made famous by the Carpenters. The EP closes with "Maryanne," one of the greats from Crenshaw's self-titled debut. This is worth lining up for on April 20. If you don't have the patience, however, you can still subscribe to the series. I'm really hoping for the best with "Stranger and Stranger" because we don't get the next EP until fall. Hmm. Could that be around the next Black Friday Record Store Day?

No comments: