Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Best Skids 'Best Of' Yet

I swear I'll get off of this Scottish kick after my trip this weekend, but there is another new release from that region worth mentioning. Captain Oi!, the reissue king of UK punk classics, has made the seventh (by my count) compilation of the Skids. Somehow, they separated themselves from the pack with this remastered 33-song, two-disc set, 'The Singles Collection 1978-1981.' Every A- and B-side is here, and it's all beautifully housed in a clamshell box with a beefy booklet.

One of my earliest music purchases was a 7" single of the Skids' "Charade." I bought it without ever previously hearing it, or the band, for that matter. The art caught my eye, and the way the band's name was written seemed so punk rock. When you're a lad, that stuff is important. It didn't take long for me to realize the "Adamson" writing credit on the back was that Adamson... Stuart from Big Country. Through the years, I would acquire many other great songs from the Skids, but this one has always been my favorite.

The Skids - Charade (mp3)

1 comment:

George said...

Another excellent track from your fine blog. Just played it on the laptop, and the cat next me gave me a very hard stare.