Thursday, October 14, 2010

Domino Squeezes Every Ounce for OJ Box Set

It's about time. Orange Juice fans can finally rejoice. Most of the Scottish post-punk outfit's catalog has been woefully out of print for several years now, but Domino has once again come to the rescue. If you are like me, Orange Juice was a myth for many years. I heard some of my favorite bands talk about what an influence they had been, but I had never actually heard them. Finally, in 2005, Domino released 'The Glasgow School,' a reissue of OJ's early Postcard-era singles and other nuggets. I bought it the day it was released and, in my mind, they more than lived up to the legend. The label's packaging was a sight to behold as well.

Since then, I have picked up a song here and there from excellent Scottish bloggers like The Vinyl Villain, but that's been about it. That's why I'm so excited that Domino's Nov. 22 release of 'Coals to Newcastle,' a seven-disc set that includes all of Orange Juice's albums, outtakes, BBC sessions, 16 unreleased tracks and a DVD of music videos and live performances. Check out the full tracklist here. This is a call to all Franz Ferdinand fans. It's time to quit getting your OJ from concentrate (get it? just add water!) and drink in the real thing. Here is my absolute favorite Orange Juice song and a clip of the band's No. 8 hit (UK, of course) from 1983. It would be their only song to reach the Top 40. Pre-order now.

Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul (Part 1) (mp3)

No comments: