Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cover Me Impressed: 'Porpoise Song'

Yesterday's bit about the upcoming deluxe edition of The Monkees' 'Head' reminded me of a great cover I have of the soundtrack opener, 'Porpoise Song.' The Gerry Goffin/Carole King tune has been done well by a few bands including ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead (on the "Worlds Apart" single) and The Church (on their covers album 'A Box of Birds'), but I like the Wondermints' take the best. My fondness for their cover comes down to superficial things like it's on a rare 1996 Japanese import
-- 'Wonderful World of Wondermints' -- that cost me a lot of dough and was difficult to find. This was before searching for albums on the Internet, folks. Remember when the hunt for a record used to be fun and an adventure? Anyway, Wondermints are one of my favorite power-pop bands, and I recommend all of their LPs, including the ones where they backed Brian Wilson. They are only a few clicks away. Happy hunting.

Wondermints - Porpoise Song (mp3)

More Cover Me Impressed:
"Prairie Rose"
"Come On Eileen"
"Walking On Thin Ice"
Jason Falkner Edition
"True Love Will Find You In The End"
"This Will Be Our Year"
"You're My Favorite Waste of Time"
"Nightime/Thirteen"
"The End Of The World"
"(Don't Go Back To)Rockville"
"God Only Knows"
"And Your Bird Can Sing"
"So Sad About Us"
"Everywhere"
"Walking The Cow"

No comments: