Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Music Samplers From My Youth: Part 5

If I could go back to any moment in time, I would have to consider 1977 to witness The Bunch of Stiffs Tour. Just like the early days of rock 'n' roll, Stiff Records' package tour brought together the label's best and brightest... and what a lineup! Nick Lowe, Elvis Costello, Wreckless Eric, Ian Dury and Larry Wallis shared the same bus to shows around England that featured a rotating lineup. There were obviously no egos yet. The bands changed quite a bit as well. Ian Dury might play drums for Wreckless Eric one night while Pete Thomas of the Attractions might beat the skins for Nick Lowe and so on. The adult beverages consumed while on the road is legendary, and it's quite evident on this piece of vinyl. I mean that in the best way possible. At one point Dury tells the audience to "cut out the f***in' spittin'!" That remark was during a raucous version of "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll" all of the artists played together to close the LP. Yes, I have daydreamed about being at that show since I was 13 years old.

Enjoy a few tunes from 'Live Stiffs Live'.

Side One
Nick Lowe - I Knew The Bride (mp3)
Nick Lowe - Let's Eat
Wreckless Eric - Semaphore Signals
Wreckless Eric - Reconnez Cherie
Larry Wallis - Police Car
Side Two
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself
Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Miracle Man (mp3)
Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Wake Up And Make Love With Me (mp3)
Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Billericay Dickie (mp3)
All - Sex Drugs Rock & Roll & Chaos

No comments: