Thursday, August 6, 2009

Songs in Cinema: 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'


The flags must be flying at half staff in the fictional town of Shermer, Illinois. After a week's vacation with very little television and no Internet, I just returned home to find out filmmaker John Hughes died today. It's funny because I thought about Hughes twice while I was away. The one time I watched the tube was when 'Ferris' was on AMC. I loved it... commercials and all. I thought of Hughes a day later when I got stuck behind a Florida blue hair driving 10 mph in a 40 zone, weaving and turning on my exact route. I commented to Mrs. Linear Tracking Lives! that I felt like Bueller's father on his way home from work. Then I started humming The English Beat.

Truth is, I probably refer to a Hughes' flick just about every week. Like most teens from the "me decade", his films meant a lot to me. My favorites were 'Weird Science', 'Sixteen Candles' and, of course, 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off'. Most of his movies will get the Songs in Cinema treatment in due time, but I felt it was important to do this one on this sad day. Rest in peace, Mr. Hughes.

Note: This film never had an officially released soundtrack. The story I always heard was Hughes didn't think the songs worked well together in a soundtrack form. Great songs, but he may have had a point.

Yello - Oh Yeah (mp3)
The Dream Academy - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want (Instrumental) (mp3)
General Public - Taking the Day Off (mp3)
The English Beat - March of the Swivelheads (mp3)
Wayne Newton - Danke Schoen (mp3)
Big Audio Dynamite - Bad 12" (mp3)
The Beatles - Twist and Shout (mp3)
The Flowerpot Men - Beat City (mp3)
Sigue, Sigue Sputnik - Love Missile F1-11 (mp3)

No comments: