Friday, January 29, 2021

'Hardy' Helping of Early '60s French Pop

After pulling out that Primal Scream single with the distinctive sleeve the other day, you might have guessed this was coming. I have a particular affinity for Françoise Hardy's debut album from 1962. She got lumped in with the French yé-yé singers of the time, but while most of those young girls in the scene were performing songs written by much older males, Hardy co-wrote 10 of the 12 songs on that self-titled album. Even more amazing, she was just 18 at the time.

What I like about the LP is how Roger Samyn's accompaniment takes a back seat to Hardy's voice. I'm sure he knew a star when he heard it. I don't understand French, but it's clear by her delivery ("Oh oh chéri" is the lone exception) these are the songs of a tormented soul. The big hit off of this one was "Tous les garçons et les filles." It spent 15 non-consecutive weeks at the top of the French chart. We'll give that one a go, as well as "Le temps de l'amour." You might know that one from a memorable dancing scene in Wes Anderson's "Moonrise Kingdom." If you have seen the film, you will agree the opening line of the song, translated as "It is the time of love, the time of friends and adventure," made this an inspired choice for the scene. Adventure indeed.

Tous les garçons et les filles
Le temps de l'amour

Now, there are a few who think Hardy is a real looker, and if this blogger was one of those folks, I would probably take this opportunity to post a bunch of provocative photos of her. Fortunately, this spot is all about the music, and I have some decorum. You'll have to get your kicks someplace else. Oh, before I forget, I did want to tell you about a film I highly recommend. It's from 1966, and it's called 'Grand Prix.' Director John Frankenheimer was even nominated for an Academy Award. Here are some stills taken around the set to whet your appetite...



4 comments:

FurryBootsCityBoy said...

I have to admit I had a crush on Francoise Hardy after my youngest sister bought her album. In my defence, I was only 12 at the time.

Charity Chic said...

Good of you to share those racing car pictures Brian

Dan Destiny’s Silver Dawn said...

I look forward to your post on the recorded output of Brigitte Bardot ...

Swiss Adam said...

Good post Brian. I love Francoise too, I always hope I'll find some perfect 1960s lps when I'm poking flea markets in French towns when I'm on holiday. The racing car pictures are superb.