Saturday, January 2, 2021

Filing Day

New Year's Day is when I take all of the records bought in the last year from my box marked "recently purchased" and put them in their permanent places on the shelf. Then I spend the next 365 days filling the box and repeating. This is how I keep track of what will go on my year-end lists. Unfortunately, I found out in 2020 this is no longer a fullproof way to keep my lists organized.

For the first time ever, I had music worthy of inclusion bought only as a digital download. This pains me beyond belief. I imagine most of you got over this many years ago, but I'm stubborn, old and set in my ways. You are supposed to be able to hold an album. Nothing to put in the box meant the risk of forgetting something on my year-end list. Out of sight, out of mind, you might say. There were two titles I was meant to remember. The live album 'The Haywains Have Left The Building!' made it. 'Needs Help' by the Very Most did not. Listen, I know my list of best albums means little in this world, but there are a few like-minded people who read it. They may have bought 'Needs Help' on my insignificant stamp of approval. I hope this mention will put a few more shekels in the pockets of Jeremy Jensen and Co.

'Needs Help' came out on CD via Spanish indie label Kocliko Records. There were 130 copies, and I missed out on the small run. Too bad because it's an album that would have been in my top 20. This download issue is bound to increase in ensuing years. Guess I had better start keeping a spreadsheet or something. Now for something completely different. I just bought 'Needs Help' on cassette from Seattle-based Lost Sound Tapes. Lots of firsts surrounding this album. Sounds crazy, but if you're a fan and haven't bought the album yet, this is not a bad way to go. Costs $6 and comes with a download. Even if you haven't played tapes in decades, c'mon, $6 for the digital album alone is a steal. Don't sit on the fence, though. There were only 100 copies of the cassette made. Check it out here.

There isn't a dress code when it comes to filing my records, but I thought it might be fun to wear one of these T-shirts while putting records away and listening to one of these 2020 reissues hot off the vinyl presses. It was a tough choice, and I considered a wardrobe change halfway through the exercise. Here's a huge hint on my decision. If you love the Blubells, here is a real treat. Listen to the lads discussing 'Sisters' for damn near two hours!

3 comments:

Rol said...

I've bought less records than usual this year for a few reasons, but having got a bit of cash for Christmas, I thought I'd buy some of the best things I've listened to on the Evil Streaming Service. Suddenly the price of CDs appears to have gone through the roof though. A dying artform...

The Swede said...

I headed over to The Very Most's Bandcamp page to stream 'Needs Help' while reading this post, then idly clicked on Discogs where I found a copy of the CDr in question going for a mere 9 Euros. I would've snapped it up for you, but the seller (based in Spain) doesn't ship to the UK - I blame Brexit. They might ship to the States though - worth a look?
Happy new year to you and yours Brian.
I'm stealing your 'recently purchased' box idea by the way!

Brian said...

Hey, Rol. I'm not much of a downloader, as you can tell, but that's just my personal preference. I don't judge those who do. Whatever works for you. It's the music that matters. A price jump for CDs doesn't sound right at all though. The vinyl prices are what is killing me.

Swede, I did see that on Discogs when I did this post. I had already ordered the cassette, though, which arrived less than 48 hours later since it was a local delivery. Gotta say, doesn't sound too bad. Just the third tape acquisition this century. Can't imagine I will be making it a habit. Been reading some terrible news on folks like you from the UK trying to buy music from European countries. Hope that can get sorted out.