Friday, January 22, 2021

Back to the Beginning

For the first time in years, I pulled out this single earlier this week. It's not that I don't like it, but there are so many other options to hear "All Fall Down" that I listen to more, such as the 1988 Creation comp 'Doing It For the Kids' or the 'Creation Soup' box of the label's first 50 singles. Other than the B-side of the "Crystal Crescent" single, which in my humble opinion is the quintessential 'C86' song, I haven't posted all that much from Primal Scream. I always feel like it could start a rumble. You see, I don't own so much as a single after 1989. For a few of you regulars out there, that's like enjoying the appetizer but skipping the entree completely. I can respect that, but you must know by now the early stuff would be right in my wheelhouse. Perhaps I take more stock in Jim Beattie's contributions than where Bobby Gillespie would move the band after he left. At any rate, this is a fan that thinks they peaked with "Gentle Tuesday." You can pick up your jaws now.

Here are both sides of CRE 17 from 1985. Bobby Gillespie was still beating the hell out of that snare for the Jesus and Mary Chain, but Jim and William gave Gillespie an ultimatum after this single. Goodbye Bobby. That's Françoise Hardy on the cover from her 1967 album 'Francoise In Germany.' Don't ask me what he's going on about on "All Fall Down." I once searched for the lyrics and got a good laugh when I saw lines like "To find a ???? for me" and "Spend my ???? ???? how I hope this feeling lasts." It's a mystery... but a fun one.

All Fall Down
It Happens

Jan. 26 Update: Adam found this clip, and you need to see it. Other than his overuse of the word "basically," Alan is on fire. This will be your best seven minutes of the day. You'll laugh until there is a crack about not making music for 40 year olds. Then you'll cry. Most of all, you'll hear some great Primal Scream.

16 comments:

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

Oh, man! I could write 20 pages on the impact CRE17 has had on me over the last 35 years, and particularly 'It Happens' ... Suffice to say, I can recite the lyrics to 'All Fall Down' from memory:

"Once upon on a time it seemed impossible to see the fallen mask
Forget the past and define divine for me.

Falling from a tower softly landing in the grass, stumbling through glades
How I hope this feeling lasts.

I can see you falling down, down, down ... You know I'd love to

I'm immersed in the threat of a promise never kept
Walking round never knowing where I'm going - all fall down

I'd love to hang with you"

Brian said...

Well, that's sorted. Thanks, DDSD. Sounds like you were there from the start. Did you stuck with them through the acclaimed years? If so, have no fear... I know a few pals will have your back.

Dan Destiny’s Silver Dawn said...

I’m with you on this one, Bri, I don’t have anything after the first LP either. For me, to find the true brilliance of the Scream you need to listen to the holy trinity of BBC radio sessions from 1985/86, and especially the glorious Janice Long session from summer 86.

BTW Thanks for the information about the cover which I didn’t know. These little details are so important.

Brian said...

Ah, good. Saves me talking bad about you behind your back. Ha! I actually lasted a bit longer than you... I have the first two albums, but I like the first one considerably more. I don’t have that particular Hardy album, but I do consider myself a fan.

Echorich said...

You have company Brian. I am not a huge fan of Primal Scream after that same point. I get where they went and I do enjoy Vanishing Point and XTRMNTR, but It's their earliest recordings that got me listening. Imperial will always be my favorite Primals song.

Brian said...

Seriously, I thought of you when I wrote up this one, Echorich. Hoped you would stop by in case I needed some defending. I have a feeling Adam, Drew and a few others haven't seen this. Years ago, somewhere on these pages, we had this conversation. It stuck with me all this time that we were on the same page. I really do mean it when I say I get why so many enjoy Screamadelica through Exterminator... these sounds are just not my cup of tea. Off to listen to Imperial right now. That's more my speed.

Dirk said...

That's exactly what I said to Bobby Gillespie when he stumbled into the 'Nice N Sleazy' in Glasgow shortly after you went to bed early at The Gathering. I said: "Listen Bobby, there was nothing really good after 'Velocity Girl', certainly nothing better, and my mate Brian would second that if he were still here!"

Swiss Adam said...

Good stuff Brian. I like early PS, this single (which I first heard on Doing It For The Kids, then Velocity Girl. The album was a disappointment but Imperial stands up. I went with them on Ivy Ivy Ivy, saw them tour at that time (tiny venue, hardly anyone there). What happened next, Loaded and the the subsequent Weatherall productions, were so in tune with the times that were a' changing, that I lapped it up, loved it.

The musical and stylistic changes after Screamadelica can be taken in a number of ways but weren't a new thing- they already morphed/ transformed 2 or 3 times by the time they became dance heroes (and then dance traitors to quote the music press).

Thanks for the lyrics- interesting.

Brian said...

Ah, very good, Dirk. I suspect if I saw Bobby I would fawn all over him.

Glad you stopped by Adam. That's my whole problem... I didn't change with the times. Thus, I had a pretty tough go of it with music in the'90s.

Swiss Adam said...

Just came across this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_c3LKGH5Zg&feature=youtu.be

Brian said...

Adam, That was fantastic. Thanks. I'm going to stick it into the post with hopes more see it.

Dan Destiny’s Silver Dawn said...

Never seen that before. So many thanks for sharing. That was the moment when Primal Scream had everything: the music, the songs, the clothes, the haircuts. I was lucky enough to see this line up in early 87 and they were incredible! They were never the same after Martin left. He was the true soul of the group. What a hero! Thanks again Adam. Love it!

Swiss Adam said...

A perfect coincidence, it appeared in my Twitter timeline.

I saw PS in '89 promoting Ivy Ivy Ivy. Good fun, small venue, even smaller crowd. The idea that they'd still be going 31 years later would have been absurd back then.

Can I mention Spirea X? Chlorine Dream was a great little single and the album was good too.

Anonymous said...

I've got the 'Chlorine Dream' 12" which I've just dug out and played again - excellent stuff. For some reason I missed the LP. I'll have to look out for it.

Brian said...

Adam and Anon, The only place I have this song is on Cherry Red’s shoegaze box. Have never had the album. Will investigate. I also have Primal Scream’s song Spirea X... all 67 seconds of it. May have to feature those at some point.

Scott said...

I do like much of the later stuff but if I could choose only one Primal Scream track it would have to be the pop perfection of Velocity Girl. The perfect track to open the C86 tape.