Thursday, January 4, 2018

'Oblivious' Week (Part 3)

This is the third and final of my "Oblivious" singles, but I saved my favorite for last. There is just something about a double 7", especially if it's housed in a gatefold cover. As you can see below, I got a little snap happy with this one, but I couldn't help myself. It's just so beautiful. David Band sure knew how to illustrate and layout these things, didn't he? This UK only version of the single came out on Nov. 18, 1983 and was part of that very successful re-release campaign I mentioned the other day... the one that took the song all the way to No. 18 on the chart. The B-side, again, was the excellent "Orchid Girl" (see part 1 of this short series), but the real gems came on the second 7". These are the ones we will listen to today.

The live takes of "We Could Send Letters" and "Back on Board" were recorded at Toronto's legendary El Mocambo (badly misspelled on the cover) on July 11, 1983 for CFNY-FM 102's Carlsberg concert series. I sure would like to get a hold of a copy of this entire show. As these 'High Land, Hard Rain' tracks prove, Roddy Frame and the lads sounded great that night. I imagine them having the time of their lives as they attempted to conquer the world. What were you doing at 19? Time machine, please. Dating back to the Postcard days, there are just so many great versions of "We Could Send Letters", and I have always had a soft spot for this particularly melancholy take. Frame's solo around the five-minute mark is a real keeper. I will be invading the CD shelf tomorrow for the final post on "Oblivious". Time to lace up your dancing shoes.

"We Could Send Letters (Live)
"Back on Board" (Live)





9 comments:

drew said...

I love Back On Board, one of my Aztec Camera tunes. I can’t recall ever hearing it live apart from at the High Land Hard Rain 30th Anniversary gig.

drew said...

btw your copy, record and sleeve looks to be in a lot better nick than mine

Rol said...

I admire the true collector spirit invoked by these three posts. Great song too!

Brian said...

Thank you, Rol. Much appreciated.

Drew, I have to ask. Do you have this?

https://www.discogs.com/Depeche-Mode-Aztec-Camera-Live/release/2422381

drew said...

Brian, I don't have it on vinyl but do have the whole broadcast on tape (FM quality) somewhere. I will try and find it and rip it for you.

drew said...

The Aztec Camera show, not Depeche Mode, never been a fan.

Brian said...

That was a given, Drew. I have been seeking out this Barrowland show from ‘84 for a long time. The price just keeps going up, up, up. More than $100 now.

drew said...

I've found one from 1988 at Manchester which is pretty horrible, soul lite sounding and a ropey recording of the the August 90 Barrowlands gig but as yet haven't found the 84 one. I definitely had it. I will keep looking

JC said...

Just in case you've never seen this.

I'm in the audience somewhere. The BBC missed the start of the gig and left it early....it was broadcast live on a Saturday afternoon as part of a 24-hour show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52coAtV5UFo