Saturday, September 2, 2017

A 'Very Most' Excellent Summer

After a two-week visit, Mom has abandoned the music room for the friendly confines of Illinois. In short, I have my records back. Was searching for inspiration a few minutes ago and see that CC is highlighting the work of Idaho's own Josh Ritter today. That has me thinking about my favorite band from the Gem State. The Very Most is an indie-pop outfit out of Boise whose music, according to their bio, "exists in a pretty little spot on the Venn diagram where The Beach Boys, Camera Obscura, New Order, Teenage Fanclub, and The Wedding Present meet." This would be a good time to open and close your hands on each side of your head while making exploding noises with your mouth. Mind blown.

In 2009, the Very Most released an EP for each season of the year. All of these were eventually collected as one album, 'A Year With the Very Most.' It works very well as one piece, and there isn't a duff note to be found. With summer quickly coming to a close, here are a couple from 'Summer EP.' For those of us from the Pacific Northwest, "A Mid-80s Lower-Middle Class Family Summer Road Trip" is a geographic goldmine. There are references to Spokane, Lake Coeur d'Alene and a couple of forgettable rural Washington towns...

We're all playing the game
where you call out letters from the signs.
M in motel
N in Wenatchee
O in Pasco
P in "Please kill me!"


With the feel-good "You're in Love With the Sun," we learn your secret, but you have to share because "your summer love he's loved by everyone." If you fall for the charms of the Very Most, and I'm confident you will, check out their bandcamp page. These singles, EPs and albums may be tough to find in your local mom-and-pop shop, but just about their entire discography can be found at your fingertips.

"A Mid-80s Lower-Middle Class Family Summer Road Trip"
"You're in Love With the Sun"

4 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Very pleasant Brian
Idaho rocks!

Howard (@indiepopSML) said...

Great post Brian! I shared it with Jeremy of The Very Most and he was quite pleased as well. He's a super nice guy and ironically TVM were the first band I ever saw at a NYC Popfest show when I went in 2013 and they opened the bill. Jeremy and his bandmates were out front of the venue before the show and just we started chatting. Hope to visit Boise someday!:-)

---Howard

Brian said...

CC, If you dig the Very Most and want any recommendations, just let me know.

Howard, Always a pleasure when you stop in for a visit. So happy to hear we have the love for the Very Most in common. Although I never made it to a NY Popfest (R.I.P.), I was dreaming about that 2013 lineup you saw:

http://lineartrackinglives.blogspot.com/2013/03/jangle-pop-dreams.html

It is my secret wish to one day put together a popfest. The Very Most and the School would have to play back to back, just as they always do on so many of my mixes. I'm not surprised Jeremy is a swell chap, but it's still nice to hear. Off topic, but can the Cubs hold on in the Central? Take care. Keep in touch.

Howard (@indiepopSML) said...

Hi Brian,

First off, I can't endorse/accept a RIP next to NYC Popfest just yet. There's too many people who it means so much to that there won't be another.

I enjoyed reading your 2013 post. I heard of NYC Popfest first in 2012 but wasnt ready to go. When I saw that lineup announcement in Feb 2013 I was booking flights soon thereafter. It does helps being from NYC and having relatives there to stay with. Didnt matter that I was going myself. Met some fine Popfest friends in the 4 consecutive years. I guess 1500 miles makes it a tad easier than 3,000 as well.

I have the same secret wish, Though it's not a secret if it;s in blog comments is it?

The Cubs will probably hang on. Too much talent but lots of head to head with Mil and StL so need to grind out series ties and wins there are we'll be healthy I hope for October.