Monday, May 2, 2011

Just Like Buddy Holly

NME's headline reads "Julian Casablancas, Florence Welch and Patti Smith for Buddy Holly tribute album." Pitchfork proclaims "Modest Mouse, My Morning Jacket, Julian Casablancas, Black Keys on Buddy Holly Tribute." Personally, I think it should be "She & Him, Nick Lowe, Jon Brion and Paul McCartney to Cover Buddy Holly." The fact remains, Kid Rock's inclusion not withstanding, Concord Music has assembled an impressive lineup for 'Rave On Buddy Holly,' due to hit the shelves on June 28. One name I'm surprised didn't show up on this record is super-fan Marshall Crenshaw. Along with the tracklist below, enjoy Crenshaw as Holly ripped from my vinyl version of the 'La Bamba' soundtrack. No offense, but this will, no doubt, put a little pressure on Karen Elson.

Marshall Crenshaw - Crying, Waiting, Hoping (mp3)

'Rave On Buddy Holly' Tracklist
1. The Black Keys - Dearest
2. Fiona Apple and Jon Brion - Every Day
3. Paul McCartney - It's So Easy
4. Florence and the Machine - Not Fade Away
5. Cee-Lo - (You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care
6. Karen Elson - Crying, Waiting, Hoping
7. Julian Casablancas - Rave On
8. Jenny O. - I'm Gonna Love You Too
9. Justin Townes Earle - Maybe Baby
10. She & Him - Oh Boy
11. Nick Lowe - Changing All Those Changes
12. Patti Smith - Words of Love
13. My Morning Jacket - True Love Ways
14. Modest Mouse - That'll Be the Day
15. Kid Rock - Well... All Right
16. Detroit Cobras - Heartbeat
17. Lou Reed - Peggy Sue
18. John Doe - Peggy Sue Got Married
19. Graham Nash - Raining in My Heart

No comments: