Thursday, May 26, 2011

Date Set for New Malkmus LP

With the revenue-racking Pavement reunion tour behind him, Stephen Malkmus has returned to his solo work with the Jicks. According to Matador Records' blog, Malkmus' new album, called 'Mirror Traffic,' will be released Aug. 23. The Beck Hansen-produced record will mark the last appearance of Jicks' drummer Janet Weiss. She will be missed. Matador hasn't released too much other information on this one. In fact, we haven't even seen a tracklist yet, but the label promises a mp3 soon. I, for one, can't wait. It's been too long.

For this post, I planned on doing a Top 10 consisting of my favorite songs from Malkmus' solo catalog. I quickly realized it would more or less be his entire first album. I definitely lean in the direction of his poppier output. I'm about the least "jammy" fan out there, and I tend to shy away from most of Malkmus' meandering eight-minute tunes chock full of guitar solos. Here are my favorites from each of his four solo albums (and a little bonus).

Stephen Malkmus - Jo Jo's Jacket (mp3) from 'Stephen Malkmus'
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Dark Wave (mp3) from 'Pig Lib'
Stephen Malkmus - Post-Paint Boy (mp3) from 'Face the Truth'
Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Gardenia (mp3) from 'Real Emotional Trash'

Stephen Malkmus & The Jicks - Dynamic Calories (mp3) from "Dark Wave" EP

No comments: