Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday Hits! Vol. 1

Music is the one thing that can get me in the holiday mood. For some reason, this year, even the tunes are barely enough to help me capture the spirit of Christmas. Perhaps the following mix will help me. Surprisingly, I'm not a huge fan of complete holiday albums. There are, however, a few that come to mind that I hope you own. My two absolute favorites are 'Christmas Album' from the Beach Boys and 'A Christmas Gift for You from Phil Spector.' 'In the Christmas Spirit' from Booker T. and the MG's and 'Wishes You a Swinging Christmas' from the great Ella Fitzgerald would be on the next tier.

The truth is, when it comes to holiday songs, I'm all about the mix. I like to blend standards with originals and icons with contemporary indie bands and '80s nostalgia acts. Unfortunately, you won't find many icons on LTL!'s mixes posted here. That's only because uploading, for examples, the Beach Boys or Johnny Cash, could get me into trouble. Believe me, it's happened before. Bah humbug, right? Still these are some of my absolute favorite songs of the season, and I hope you enjoy them, too. Look for another volume early next week that will precede my best songs and albums of the year lists.

The Apples in Stereo - Holiday Mood (mp3)
Belle & Sebastian - Santa, Bring My Baby Back to Me (mp3)
Marshall Crenshaw - Sock It To Me Santa (mp3)
Freedy Johnston - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (mp3)
The dB's - Christmas Time (mp3)
NRBQ - Jolly Old St. Nicholas (mp3)
Ron Sexsmith - Maybe This Christmas (mp3)
The Chamber Strings - Everyday Is Christmas (mp3)
Paul Carrack - Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (mp3)
XTC - Thanks for Christmas (mp3)

No comments: