Thursday, December 9, 2010

The 'Double Fantasy' Fantasy

I have thought a lot about John Lennon this week. I have heard others opine that -- chances are -- his best work was behind him. For some, imagining Lennon records in the '80s and beyond is more than they can bear. I disagree. I contend if you put his songs from 'Double Fantasy' and 'Milk and Honey' together (without the Yoko Ono tracks... as they should have been) this would have been his best record and the greatest solo album from a Beatle. Consider this tracklist:

Side A
(Just Like) Starting Over
Every Man Has A Woman Who Loves Him
I'm Stepping Out
Woman
Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy)

Side B
Nobody Told Me
Watching the Wheels
Borrowed Time
I'm Losing You
I Don't Want to Face It
Grow Old With Me

This may seem like a fella trying to stir up the pot, but I am being sincere. Does this look like the album of an artist with nothing left to give? What a tragedy. I have a mix of these songs on my iPod I call The 'Double Fantasy' Fantasy, and I listen to it all of the time. OK, feel free to sound off now. I can take it.

No comments: