Friday, May 7, 2010

Long Lost Chin Chin LP Unearthed

Upon my first listens to Vampire Weekend, I couldn't help but think I had heard these guys before. It wasn't long before I realized I had... only it was Haircut 100 about 25 years ago. And so it goes. It seems most of today's indie music sounds like the stuff I listened to in my youth, and that's fine by me.

Another good example is Dum Dum Girls (and quite a few other fuzzy-guitar bands breaking in right now). These gals should certainly pay a debt of gratitude to Chin Chin. If you don't know the Swiss female trio, they broke in with the catchy single "We Don't Wanna Be Prisoners" in '84. The album 'Sound of the Westway' followed in '85 but, over the years, it seems to have become one of those sadly forgotten albums that now, more than ever, deserves praise. Mississippi Records and Slumberland must have agreed because the labels have worked together to reissue it on vinyl for a mere 10 bucks (with free digital download included). Fans of Jesus and Mary Chain, Shop Assistants and other C86 bands, as well as the aforementioned Dum Dum Girls, will want to give Chin Chin a spin spin.

Chin Chin - Dark Days (mp3)
Chin Chin - Dead Life (mp3)

No comments: