Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Do You, Like, Like The New Like?

I bought The Like's first full-length release, 'Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking?' before ever hearing a song from it. I took the risk because of the gals' fathers. Guitarist "Z" Berg's pop is a Geffen A&R man and producer. Drummer Tennessee Thomas is the daughter of Pete Thomas, skin man from Elvis Costello & The Attractions fame. The bassist at the time was Charlotte Froom. Yep, she's the daughter of producer/musician Mitchell Froom. For the most part, I ended up not liking the record very much. In fact, before today, I don't think I had listened to it since it was first released in 2005.

A few days ago I found out the band has gone through quite a transformation. Froom is no longer on bass, but the Like gained two members, including an organist. They have a new record coming out, and it isn't on Geffen this time. The Like is now a member of the Downtown Music stable with indie hipsters like Art Brut, Cold War Kids and Fyfe Dangerfield. Downtown has released a download for the song "Fair Game," and the girls sound much different. I mean this in the best way possible. Give it a listen, and mark your calendars for June 15 when 'Release Me' hits the stores. Preorder now.

The Like - Fair Game (mp3) from 'Release Me'
The Like - What I Say And What I Mean (mp3) from 'Are You Thinking What I'm Thinking'

No comments: