Thursday, March 25, 2010

Phoenix Fatigue

Yesterday, Phoenix gave us a present of eight songs recorded live in Sydney. It looks to me like the zip file can no longer be downloaded, but here is the link in case you want to give it a go later. If you didn't get 'Live in Sydney,' in a nutshell, it was a performance of the 'Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix' album and, yes, it sounds great. My point today is when I read the news the show was available, I actually hesitated for a moment. Did I really want to take a few minutes to download it?

I'm not one of these fans that just discovered the band when 'Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix' came out either and, let's face it, there are lots of those folks. I have enjoyed Phoenix's work for many years and even had the privilege of seeing them in 2006. My problem seems to be overexposure. Between the Cadillac commercial, all of the late-night TV appearances, remix after remix and mainstream radio play of the same two songs for more than a year now, I'm tired. If you find yourself in this camp or haven't heard some of the band's earlier work performed live, here are a couple of songs to remind you Phoenix is much more than "1901" and "Lizstomania."

Phoenix - Rally (mp3) (from 'Live 2006' EP)
Phoenix - Too Young (mp3) (from 'Live! 30 Days Ago' in 2004)

No comments: