Monday, March 1, 2010

Hit the 'Dance Floor' With Apples In Stereo

The first song from the Apples In Stereo's 'Travellers in Space and Time' has hit the blogosphere and, for me, it's a bit of a head scratcher. If you're expecting power pop like 'Velocity of Sound,' you're going to be surprised. Our first clue should have been the title, "Dance Floor". It sounds a lot like more recent Of Montreal. That's not bad, exactly, but I don't think I would be happy with an entire album that sounds like this one.

Apples In Stereo - Dance Floor (mp3)

Also, you may remember a couple of weeks ago I posted a new song from the Pipettes that I didn't like very much. Well, over at the band's MySpace page you can stream the first official single from the new album, "Stop the Music," as well as another song, "So I Say Goodbye" (out April 20 on Fortuna Pop). Both of these songs are much better than the earlier "Our Love Was Saved By Spacemen," but I think all three of these songs would be considered weak tracks when compared to anything on the first album. After listening to the latest Pipettes, all of a sudden that new Apples In Stereo song is sounding a lot better.

Updated March 2: Yep Roc just announced you can stream the entire 'Travellers In Space and Time' album right here... for one week only. Here is what Apples In Stereo's own Robert Schneider says about the record: "I wanted to make a futuristic pop record, to reach out to the kids of the future. It is what I imagine their more highly-evolved pop might sound like: shiny soul music with robots and humans singing together. We are sending a pop music message through time." Trippy.

No comments: