Friday, April 23, 2021

Martin Followed Masterpiece With Masterpiece

Whether with Cleaners From Venus, Stray Trolleys, the Brotherhood of Lizards or as a solo artist, Martin Newell has never let me down. A trademark of his recordings are their lo-fi sound, which is part of the charm, but they always have a great melody and a brilliant turn of phrase. I don't know about you, but I have found those qualities will trump production values just about every time. In the early to mid-'90s, Newell took a different approach to a couple of solo albums where the influence of his producers are felt and the pop is, dare I say it, downright accessible. The first, 'The Greatest Living Englishman,' is considered by many to be his masterpiece. Newell's pal, producer Andy Partridge, is all over 'Englishman,' and if you like Lennon/McCartney circa '66, this is where you would want to start with his work. I grabbed the reissue in 2018 and hoped the lesser-known followup would get the same treatment.

Since 'The Greatest Living Englishman' has been called his 'Sgt. Pepper,' Newell had a little fun by calling his next LP 'The Off White Album.' (The back cover with a browning apple was a nice touch too.) Partridge may have hung around a bit, but the producing duties went to musician, journalist, writer and all-around Renaissance man Louis Philippe. I could go on an on about the Frenchman -- he has been a firm favorite of mine since his days as the heart and soul of the él label -- but all you really need to know on this page is he is a disciple of Brian Wilson, a genius with writing and arranging strings and quite an aficionado on the organ. You'll get plenty of those elements on 'The Off White Album,' along with some guitar (and quite an impression of Cream-era Clapton) from Dave Gregory of XTC. Philippe and Gregory must have gotten on like gangbusters because they would go on to work together quite a bit, but I digress, again. All of this gives 'The Off White Album' a radically different sound and feel than 'The Greatest Living Englishman,' but the high standard set by its predecessor is right there. Here's my favorite song from Newell's most sophisticated album...



Captured Tracks, the label that not only reissued 'The Greatest Living Englishman' but most of Newell's discography, has come to the rescue again with 'The Off White Album.' This one came out a few weeks ago, and it has rarely left my turntable since then. The white vinyl (What else could it be?) sounds great, particularly Newell's vocals and that string quartet. My only criticism, and it's very slight, is Newell's liner notes aren't nearly as entertaining as the novella-like description accompanying its earlier incarnation. Don't let that put you off. You're going to want to grab this one. Here's a clip making the rounds from the upcoming documentary 'The Jangling Man: The Martin Newell Story' expected out later this year. It's sure to whet your appetite.



In '95, here's how Newell concluded his thoughts on how 'The Off White Album' would be received. Let's give him the last word.

Not a bad collection of songs, all in all. I suppose some people will like them and some won't but it's only pop music so I hardly think they're going to change the world. And all the rock mags in the U.K. will ignore it or damn me with faint praise. And people in my village will say, "That sounds nearly like a real record Martin." Or if they're more sophisticated they'll say, "Is it generally available?" Then I'll sigh and say, "No, but I'll be selling it off a barrow in the high street." Then boring bastards will come up to me in the pub and tell me what's wrong with it. Then obsessive females will write me strange letters telling me that we were made for each other. And if it doesn't set the world alight, all my rivals will smile smugly and despise me. But if it is a huge success, they'll all say it was luck and hate me even more. And all this time I'll just be writing and doing a spot of gardening and occasionally writing a letter to the local paper about seeing the first goat of autumn. And I suppose eventually I'll do another record...

9 comments:

C said...

Lovely stuff - really enjoyed the song and the clip, will definitely be looking out for the documentary (and wondering if it'll mention Gypp! I know I mentioned them before and I think TS saw them around the same time too, they must have done the rounds here in the East all those years ago.) Thanks for highlighting - love the fact that his particular brand of low-key Englishness and talent have crossed the Atlantic.
Martin's words from '95 made me smile/laugh... a perfect summing up!

Brian said...

C, I may have been fishing for a comment there because I was thinking about you guys when I added that bit at the end about how the locals would react to the album. Thought you would get a kick out of it. What a character! I'm sure Gypp will be discussed in that doc. Can't wait to see it. I really wanted to buy this album in a shop. I called a place to see if they had it, and the guy on the phone asked startled, "The guy from Cleaners From Venus? I had no idea about this album!" He ordered me a copy straightaway. It arrived a few days later. I masked up and said, "I'm going in." Had a great conversation with a couple of gents about Martin just like the old days (except the masks and distance). It was a good day... a little hope.

C said...

Ah Brian, that's so brilliant. A little (much-needed hope) indeed!
I remember seeing a flyer in the window of the tiny bookshop in my village some years ago, advertising that Martin Newell was doing a book-signing there (unfortunately I don't remember which one it was for). Of course now I really wish that I had gone along to meet him... The bookshop is now sadly gone but it's good to know that Martin isn't!

Dan Destiny’s Silver Dawn said...

I know Louis Phillipe (AKA Phillipe Auclair) mostly from his day job as a reporter and particularly his wonderful contributions to the Guardian Weekly Football podcast. It’s always amusing when his musical life crops up on the pod; the football types are pretty bemused.

Brian said...

Hey DDSD,
For some of us, we follow his musical life and are bemused by his football contributions. Point is, what a talent! Indeed, a real Renaissance man. As for football, from a distance, I follow the third-tier Scottish league (Scottish League 1) because my pal Drew is a fanatic of Airdrie. They play in about 45 minutes, as a matter of fact. I suspect Louis won't be covering that one.

Ernie Goggins said...

I had the pleasure of getting to know Martin a little when I was a student in the early 1980s when I was a student in digs in Wivenhoe. In those days if you wanted to get his latest recordings you wandered down to his cottage near the railway line and hoped he was in. Still have my old cassette copies of 'Midnight Cleaners', 'In The Golden Autumn' and his 1983 Christmas single, the festive 'When Fire Burns Dreams/ Amateur Paranoiac'

Brian said...

Thanks for that, Ernie. That’s exactly how I have always pictured that time period.

The Swede said...

Yes I saw Gypp a couple of times way back when, but the exact details are lost in the mists of time - they were regulars on the local circuit though. I'm sure I've mentioned to you before that a friend of mine knows Martin quite well and sang backing vocals on a couple of his recordings in the Radio Autumn Attic period.

These days the great John Cooper Clarke is a fellow Wivenhoe resident and, over the years, both bards have written verses for each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIWIzepYMdw&t=2s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtDusaJyWbQ

Brian said...

Really good stuff, Swede. Much appreciated.