Sunday, April 4, 2021

Happy (Mitch) Easter!

I have two annual traditions here at LTL. One is Big Country's 1983 New Year's Eve concert highlighted each Dec. 31st. The other is songs written, produced, recorded or performed by the great Mitch Easter you'll find on these pages every Easter. As this blog nears its 12th birthday, I would say I have picked the carcass of that Big Country show clean. When it comes, to the work of Mr. Easter, however, I never seem to want for material. After all, one look at Discogs shows his production credits alone at 248. Enjoy another basket of goodies featuring the work of our hero.

Let's go way way back to 1976 when Easter was in Sneakers with the likes of Chris Stamey and Will Rigby. These are from the self-titled six-song 7" EP played at 33 1/3. No, the material doesn't quite live up to what Stamey and Rigby would do in the dB's or what Easter would come up with in Let's Active, but there is a spark that will make you realize they were all heading in the right direction.

Ruby
Love's Like a Cuban Crisis

Talking of Let's Active, we can't let the holiday go by without something from Mitch, Faye and Sara. This one is from the 1984 album 'Cypress' and features Faye on lead vocals. Rest in peace, Ms. Hunter. Interesting to note Don Dixon was co-producer with the band on 'Cypress' and the engineer on the release by Sneakers above. Like Easter's, his name seems to show up all over the place in my record collection.

Blue Line

Now for something from that long list of production credits. Easter worked extensively with Cali power-pop band Game Theory. The 1985 album 'Real Nighttime' was the band's second and the first with Easter behind the glass. I would rank it right up there with 'Lolita Nation' as their best. Scott Miller, the genius behind the band, worked with Easter almost exclusvely as his producer for the next decade as he moved from Game Theory in the '80s to the Loud Family in the '90s. Until next Easter, here's one from 'Real Nighttime.'

24

6 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Tradition has now been observed.
I can go now and roll my egg!

Howard IPSML said...

Hey Brian --

Just learned recently that Blue Line is a cover from the equally great sounding The Outskirts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8x7d6zdf6g

Maybe you knew that already. Maybe I learned it from an older post of yours is a possibility too!

Have a good holiday
---Howard

Brian said...

Howard,
Was hoping you would drop by soon. I have somehow lost your email address. Send me a hello, will you? Thanks. I did know about the Outskirts, but I didn't hear the original until many years after Cypress came out. Let's Active gives a fairly faithful rendition. Have always wondered about the connection. Perhaps because the Outskirts shared the same music publisher as the dB's. One of those questions I would love to ask Mr. Easter.

CC,
Hope your roll went well. Went to the White House roll once. What a miserable day that was. I'll tell you about it sometime.

Rol said...

Love's Like A Cuban Crisis is my song title of the day.

Happy Easter, Brian.

The Swede said...

Not sure I'd ever heard Love's Like a Cuban Crisis before today - it's my pick of this bunch. Andy Gill would've been proud of that quirky, angular intro.

Swiss Adam said...

Happy Mitch Easter Brian. Belatedly.