Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Another Beautiful Bunch of Sevens

Just want to take a moment to thank Ian and Optic Nerve Recordings for another stellar 7" series. I received my last six singles a couple of weeks ago, and it felt like Christmas. Once again, the painstaking effort shows in the quality of each record... from the colors chosen for the vinyl to the heavy stock used for the sleeves. You can click on the photo above to get a better look. For those new to the series, each single comes with a poster and postcard.

These were the two from this round I found most aesthetically pleasing. "Sean Connery," the fourth and final single from James Dean Driving Experience, was originally released in 1990 on él Records as a 12" EP. All four tracks are included here for the first time as a 7" single. JDDE were known for featuring a "screen goddess" on every one of their sleeves, including Audrey Hepburn, Rita Hayworth and Claudia Cardinale. This time around it was Gina Lollobrigida (still with us at 92, by the way).



Next up is the Loft with "Up the Hill and Down the Slope" b/w "Your Door Shines Like Gold." This varies from the original 7" Creation released in 1985 in that "Your Door Shines Like Gold" was only included on the four-track 12", but I contend this is the best B-side in the band's all-too-brief career. The color scheme for the vinyl is brilliant, and I'm pleased to possess the poster for the Loft's triumphant reunion at NYC Popfest in 2015.



If you like what you see, you'll be pleased to know both of these singles are still available to purchase à la carte, as are all of the others except for the Wedding Present, House of Love, Bob and the Vaselines. Check 'em out here. Don't dawdle. They do all eventually sell out, as the first incarnation of this series illustrated. Here's a look at that first series:


Ian has already let the cat out of the bag there will be a third series he hopes to launch around October. I'll let you know the titles as that information becomes available. Here are a few ideas I would love to see in a future series...




11 comments:

TheRobster said...

I got the Weddoes and the Primitives ones, the latter being a lovely pink splatterry thing of splendour. Missed the House Of Love one though.

(BTW Brian, I didn't end the blog after all, been back for a number of weeks now, including a new Welsh Wednesday series. Drop by when you've got 5 minutes.)

Brian said...

The Primitives one is a real looker. That's one of three singles in the series I already owned in the singles format but bought again to support the label and to admire. Great news that you're back, Robster. I didn't know. Sadly, my reading has been taking a back seat to teaching duties, but that all ends this week. I'll catch up ASAP. Take care.

McPop said...

Hi Brian,
Looks like you got some great singles from Optic Nerve!

I’d especially like to get that James Dean Driving Experience - Sean Connery 7".

In a perfect world Cherry Red or some other label would put out a retrospective CD or LP including all of JDDE singles/EPs.

Take care. - Matt

Brian said...

Right on, McPop. There were 13 songs over those four singles. Perfect size for a single-disc retrospective. Good to hear from you, pal.

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

Kia ora, Brian, from Wellington, New Zealand

I just came across your brilliant blog last night after searching for the Razorcuts. I then spent most of the evening trawling through your past posts. It's a fantastic feeling to discover someone with such similar tastes living the other side of the planet in these times.

Earlier in the week my two Optic Nerve Razorcuts vinyl packages arrived, and I've been playing them both non-stop ever since. What an amazing band they were, and what a joy it is to see them treated so lovingly by the Optic Nerve crowd.

I was lucky enough to see the Razorcuts, along with the Flatmates and Chesterfields, at a Subway night in Nottingham, December 1987. It's was an amazing show.

I have a number of the original 7"s that Optic Nerve are re-issuing, and I've been digging them out to play. Up The Hill And Down The Slope is such a masterpiece: "Showing off in the rain in last year's jeans". Genius.

Anyway, keep up the good work, and I'll be tracking your new posts with great interest

Brian said...

Dan, Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to write. It's comments like these that make it all worth while. If you have fished around the blog then you know I have a special interest in Subway, and I'm quite jealous at your good fortune of seeing those three bands together back in '87. A time machine moment if there ever was one. Your comment has me inspired to pull together some Razorcuts related posts this week. Stay tuned. I'm a big fan of Flying Nun. What do you guys put in the water down there? So many great bands!

Rol said...

This is the second time I've added The James Dean Driving Experience to the neverending Wants List. I'll get there in the end, Brian.

Brian said...

Right on, Rol. JDDE should be in all of our collections.

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

Thanks, Brian

Martin Subway was a really kind and generous guy ( ... and I'm sure he still is ... ). Back in the day, he did me a number of fantastic tape compilations of records, demos, Peel sessions, etc that were simply not available to a 16 year old schoolboy from working class north Notts. I've still got them all, including a c46 with Martin's eight postcard singles + Candyskin by the Fire Engines. To this day, the most valued and wonderful music gift anyone has ever given me. I'll never forget the dizzying excitement that rushed through me when that envelope arrived. I was a massive fan of Orange Juice and Aztec Camera, and those Postcard singles were the holy grail in 1986, and even then would put you back over five pounds (a lot of money back when you could get most LPs for three pounds). And hearing 'It's Kinda Funny' for the first time ...

Through Martin, my mind was opened to lots of obscure stuff, some of which I've still never seen to this day. Number 1 would have to be 'Something To Do' by Buba and the Shop Assistants, with the wonderful Aggi on vocals. Now that would make an excellent Optic Nerve 7"!!!! A great record, and the first song I learned to play on guitar.

Although the Chesterfields played well at the Subway showcase (Notts Old Vic, December 1986), and the Razorcuts were outstanding, the Flatmates set was pretty ... err ... flat. I've got a letter somewhere from Martin apologising for storming off the stage after the show because he was so pissed off! Ha Ha! He'd had to borrow the a Chesterfields' guitar after trashing his strings during 'Love Cuts'. I seem to remember there was a problem with being paid as well ...

Anyway, I'll always love Martin for releasing the 'Patterns on the Water' EP. Side two: 'Snowbirds Don't Fly' and the incredible 'Mary Day'. Unbelievable.

I moved to NZ in 2004. The week after we arrived, I got to see the Chills play at the Bodega Bar. I'd last seen them in 1991, and it felt like I'd come home. I remember happily whistling 'Rolling Moon' all the way home that night. Dunedin still holds this massive fascination to me, but I've only ever been there once! I don't want to ruin the romance and myth!!!!

Kia ora!

Brian said...

So much to digest there, Dan. I wonder if Martin still has the 7" of Falling and Laughing. I watched a copy of that go for $800 on ebay last week. A friend of mine who knows Edwyn Collins a bit told me even the frontman himself doesn't have a copy of that one. Crazy. Martin sounds like quite a fella. One of those guys I would love to meet someday.

Seeing the Chills must have been a hell of a way to ring in your big move. Those two recent albums were like manna from heaven.

Dan Destiny's Silver Dawn said...

Ha, Ha! Even Martin didn't have the first Orange single. So unlike the Pooh sticks, I didn't have 'Falling and Laughing' (the original postcard version) on tape. However, I did send for the Soup Dragons single (mail order only), one fifty to Martin Whitehead, but in never came!!!