Friday, May 29, 2020

Planting Seeds That Produce Nuggets

Three weeks and one day until summer "vacation." Then I hand in my No. 2 pencil and retire from being a full-time teacher to my kids. (Well, at least until the next wave hits, eh?) Yes, just like when I was a lad, I'm counting the days until school's out. Tonight, after a particularly trying day of work and school, neither done as well as they could and should have been, I was horizontal on the couch vegging out and watching episodes of the late '60s sitcom "The Mothers-in-Law" and hoping for sleep when I hit season 1, episode 30, called "How Not to Manage a Rock Group." This ridiculous program really lifted my spirits because L.A. garage rockers the Seeds portrayed fictitious band the Warts and performed the biggest hit the Seeds ever had in "Pushin' Too Hard" (No. 36 in Feb. '67). Man, seeing frontman Sky Saxon on screen was a hoot. Here's a clip. Lester Bangs called him an American ripoff of Mick Jagger. Hmm. What do you think?



Now I'm awake as can be and have all three of my Nuggets box sets out and ready to spin. I have a feeling I won't be pushin' too hard tomorrow. Here's a fun cover from a band we all seem to have time for in this little corner of the 'Net.

6 comments:

C said...

Fantastic clip! I love the looks on those parents' faces. They were probably a lot younger than I am now too. Aargh! Always have time for some Nuggets (and Pebbles!)
You'll really deserve your Summer break, Brian - have a relaxing weekend too.

drew said...

Love that Bangles cover.

I'm not very good at the home teaching either!

Stay safe pal

drew said...

C86 & All That dropped through the storm doors this morning

Swiss Adam said...

I love Pushin' Too Hard. Good cover too.

Echorich said...

The Mothers-In-Law!!! wow that brings back only good memories!

Post-Punk Monk said...

Man, I am old enough to remember this episode from what must have been first run syndication around '70-'71. It was another decade until I knew who The Seeds were!