Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Tough-to-Find Comp From East Village Goes Vinyl

Slumberland Records is really sticking it to me. Even though I already had the Summershine compilation 'The Ballad of Ric Menck' (on two formats, I might add), I couldn't resist picking up doppelganger 'Singles 1986-1991' from the Springfields a couple of weeks ago. Now comes news the label has raided the Summershine vaults again to reissue the singles collection 'Hotrod Hotel' by East Village... on vinyl! Like a bad joke, I paid big bucks for it on CD via Discogs a couple of years ago because I couldn't have dreamed it would be reissued again. Just to rub it in, this past year, I bought the 7" reissue of "Cubans in the Bluefields" as part of Optic Nerve Recording's excellent singles series.

There's no way I would consider buying this, then, right? Wrong. Slumberland's reissues are always done with such care, and the insert and liner notes alone would have me reaching for the wallet. It just so happens there are a couple of bonuses that have me excited too. The album includes the original version of "Freeze Out" first issued as half of a split flexi that kicked off Bob Stanley's Caff label back in 1989. That is not on my CD. Also, if you order quickly and directly from Slumberland, they are going to throw in a beautiful 'Drop Out' album poster. Yes, it's the one you're thinking... only bigger (clears throat). Preorder now for an expected Jan. 24 release.



11 comments:

drew said...

There record companies sure know how to reel us sadsack middle aged men in.

The Swede said...

If we're patient enough, everything gets reissued eventually. Usually more than once and in multiple desirable formats. Drew might just have a point! A fine pair of tunes Brian.

Dirk said...

Bugger - just spoke to Mrs. Loser: for some reason whe won't let me put up the poster in our living room. I really don't understand where she's coming from sometimes …



Brian said...

Bingo, Drew and Swede. I know it. You know it. Yet, here I am with money in hand. No way I'm going to be hanging this poster either, Dirk.

Swiss Adam said...

The Drop Out poster is the clincher for me.

Brian said...

I hear you, SA. Actually, moving from the square shape of an album cover to a rectangle of the poster might make it a little more acceptable to our wives. It's significantly less, uh, busty.

McPop said...

HI Brian,
I was excited to see this Slumberland reissue! I already have all of these tracks on the deluxe Drop Out 2-CD set but had to get the vinyl (with cool album cover) so I promptly pre-ordered.

Like you, I also couldn't resist picking up the Springfields collection, even though I already have the Ballad of Ric Menck CD. I'm always happy to support a fine label like Slumberland.

Take care. - Matt

Brian said...

Welcome to the group of sadsack middle aged men, Matt. Great to hear from you. Hope you're getting that year-end list together. I always learn of something vital I missed from you.

Mass65 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mass65 said...

Hey Brian,
if you wanna reluctantly part with the Hotrod Hotel CD version let me know :-).

Brian said...

Mass65, I'm too embarrassed to tell you how much I paid for Hotrod Hotel on CD (and Drop Out too, for that matter). I will say it was significantly more than what Slumberland was selling it for on vinyl last year. What can I say? I was a desperate man. I would be happy to make sure you have a digital copy. Drop me an email if you need it.