Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Soundtrack Week: Mix From Wes Anderson Films

I couldn't decide which of Wes Anderson's films to feature. 'Rushmore.' It had to be 'Rushmore.' Then I thought of contrasting the whimsical early scores of Mark Mothersbaugh with the more mature work of composer Alexandre Desplat in his later films instead. Then my mind raced to featuring just the Kinks. Anderson's music supervisor, Randall Poster, has said the 'Rushmore' soundtrack was first conceptualized as all Kinks. One of Ray Davies' songs ultimately made it into the film, and three more from the pride of Muswell Hill appeared in 'The Darjeeling Limited.'

Finally, after wrestling with this for several days, I threw up my hands and obsessed over which song would be chosen from each of Anderson's films for a little mix ('The Grand Budapest Hotel' being the exception. I don't have that one.). For the record, I'll take Mothersbaugh over the critically acclaimed Desplat every time. Some film goers don't like Anderson. Self-indulgent, they say. I'm not in that camp. His incredible attention to detail always leaves me in awe... the color schemes, the costumes, the sets, the fonts, the stories. I can't wait for Anderson's next adventure, 'The French Dispatch, expected out early next year.

Love - Alone Again Or (from 'Bottle Rocket')
The Kinks - Nothing In This World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl (from 'Rushmore')
Nico - These Days (from 'The Royal Tenenbaums')
Scott Walker - 30 Century Man (from 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou')
Peter Sarstedt - Where Do You Go To (My Lovely) (from 'The Darjeeling Limited')
The Beach Boys - Heroes and Villains (from 'Fantastic Mr. Fox')
Françoise Hardy - Le Temps De L'Amour (from 'Moonrise Kingdom')
Kaoru Watanabe - Taiko Drumming (from 'Isle of Dogs')

Bonus: A Brief Mix of Music From Mark Mothersbaugh
Snowflake Music (from 'Bottle Rocket' and 'Rushmore')
Hardest Geometry Problem in the World (from 'Rushmore')
Mothersbaugh's Canon (from 'The Royal Tenenbaums')
Ping Island/Lightning Strike Rescue Op (from 'The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou')

No comments: