Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Remember... This Is Fun!

About to begin the trek to Scotland to meet our blogging mates, and I couldn't be more excited. Thus, things will be quiet on these pages until early next week. I leave you with a gem from that land perhaps you haven't heard before.

If you recall Remember Fun at all, it's probably for the 1987 song "Hey Hey Hate" on Matt Haynes' pre-Sarah flexi label Sha-la-la.. a real keeper of a split 7" shared with Emily. A song on a charity album and another on a comp from Egg Records followed, but that's about it. They have been compared to Close Lobsters and Church Grims, but that's probably a bit lazy and comes down to geography in one case and a shared label (and geography) with the other. Their moniker may make you think of some manufactured boy band, but I promise you this is indie pop at its best... bitter words about life unfulfilled masked by cheery jangle.

In 2001, Jimmy, the fearless leader of Matinée Recordings, unearthed a handful of unreleased songs from the fellas, and each turned out to be better than the next. The following song is thought to be from 1989. To all of my pals making the journey to Glasgow in the coming days, no matter how you get there, be safe. See you soon. This is going to be fun! If this one is to your liking, spend the $4 and pick it up here.

Remember Fun - "Train Journeys"

10 comments:

The Swede said...

Have a fabulous time one and all. I'll catch you next time.

Brian said...

Will be thinking of you, Swede. As you say, next time for sure.

Charity Chic said...

You know far more Glasgow bands than I do Brian!
See you on Friday - looking forward to it

Brian said...

I don't know about that, but I do have a soft spot for your music! See you soon, CC.

JC said...

Safe trip my friend. Really looking forward to seeing you again.

Brian said...

Thanks, JC. Believe it or not, I just boarded. See you tomorrow! Can't wait! If I think of it, I'll put on my Cubs cap so I can be spotted.

C said...

Ooh, just reading this and seeing you say you've "just boarded", Brian, suddenly makes everything feel very real and I'm not even going to be there but I am catching the excitement through these comments alone! How excited must YOU be?!

Have a brilliant time (all of you) and safe (further) travels!

JTFL said...

Damn, I'm in London and the fact that it's physically POSSIBLE to do the trip to Glasgow makes it that much more frustrating that I can't get away. Oh well. It should be obvious from this post that if there's one Yank that's fit to represent the US on the indie music front it's Brian. How does he know all this stuff? Where did he get it? Plus, I did get the honor to meet the blogfather himself in Manchester...

Echorich said...

Have a great trip Brian!

Dirk said...

See you tomorrow then, mate, have a safe flight: then again I guess you should be in Amsterdam by now ...