Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Farewell to Fortuna POP!

In the lower right-hand corner of this blog's front page I pay homage to my favorite music labels, past and present. In case you haven't heard, Fortuna POP! has recently moved from present to past with founder Sean Price's announcement that, "Nothing lasts forever. After 20 years, 200 releases, a mountain of debt and very little sleep, Fortuna POP! is drawing to a close." This is a real blow, but I'll be forever grateful to Price, and I know we will be in good hands with Slumberland, Matinée Recordings and other indie labels that have helped the stable of stars at Fortuna POP! receive exposure here in America and around the world.

Here are some of my favorite moments through the years. Thanks for all of the great music and the passion, Sean, and best of luck with the next chapter in your life. As Airport Girl proclaimed during your label's infancy, "the foolishness that we create through love is the closest we come to greatness."













4 comments:

Echorich said...

20 years of passion for artists and releases needs to be lauded. It's sad to see any label so invested in the artists it released go away, but they leave us with some amazing music from some amazing artists.

The Swede said...

I thought of you as soon as I heard the news Brian. I knew very little about Fortuna POP! until I started hanging out at your gaff, but have enjoyed the majority of the music that you've shared from the label. Sad times indeed.

George said...

Tender Trap: I'm not at all surprised you like that one Brian.

Brian said...

Hiya, fellas. Labor of love, that's for sure. George, you know me well. From Talulah Gosh to Heavenly to Tender Trap and now the Catenary Wires. Where Amelia goes I will follow.