Saturday, September 19, 2015

Stardust Memories

The people have spoken... but without any clear majority of what should be heard. So, if you requested a cover of a Bowie song from me the other day, you'll find it below. Thanks yous to Phil, Seamus, Kevinpat, TheRobster, CC, The Swede, alvalmeida, C, syaver, Echorich and Brett Alan for playing along. You too, George, even if I think Associates' cover of "Boys Keep Swinging" is the most historically important song on this comp. Billy and Alan were signed based on that debut single, but that's a story for another day. Of all the unchosen "dogs" on the album, the most surprising to me is Midge Ure's take of "The Man Who Sold the World." I have to admit I kind of like it, even if I'm not usually a fan of his solo work.

My personal favorites from this lot are the ones from the Divine Comedy, Black Box Recorder and the Langley Schools Music Project. I just checked, and I have only posted something from Langley Schools once... and that was "God Only Knows" way back in 2009. I'm going to try and rectify that in the next week because the story behind the album 'Innocence & Despair' is a great tale to tell, and it's one of the most brilliant examples of outsider art I have ever heard. Anyway, enjoy the music. Hope you find a diamond here. If you run into any problems with my file-sharing account, please let me know. I'm probably nearing bandwidth capacity.

Ian McCulloch - "The Prettiest Star"
Culture Club - "Starman"
Guy Chadwick - "Fall In Love With Me"
Edwyn Collins - "The Gospel According To Tony Day"
The Divine Comedy - "Life On Mars"
Alejandro Escovedo - "All The Young Dudes"
Big Country - "Cracked Actor"
The Polecats - "John, I'm Only Dancing"
Blondie - "Heroes"
The Langley Schools Music Project - "Space Oddity"
Black Box Recorder - "Rock'n'Roll Suicide"

6 comments:

Echorich said...

Brian - I think you were very even handed here in the selections. As for that Midge Ure verision of TMWSTW, it is very listenable, but it is so covered in Midge Ure's particular brand of histrionics, it is not my favorite version. It was released in 82, I believe, just around the same time as Ultravox's Quartet and the Ure/Mick Karn single After A Fashion and follows both of those sonically. A bit more artifice that art, really. I wonder if I'm allowed to admit I enjoy Lulu's camp/drag/cabaret version which Bowie contributed backing vocals to back in 74? I will take the hit to my credibility with confidence.

Brian said...

I think that's a pretty fair assessment of Ure's cover, Echorich, and you're exactly correct on the year. I will have to dig up that Lulu take. I'm not sure that I have ever heard it. At any rate, your cred will remain without a dent in these parts.

The Swede said...

A nice little selection from the Uncut comp Brian.
Lulu's version of TMWSTW was great, I remember her performing it on the telly at the time - and it featured a really rollicking 'Watch That Man' on the flip too! Well worth checking out.

Charity Chic said...

The Swede is right Lulu's version of TMWSTW is indeed cracking

Charity Chic said...

Echorich also

George said...

As CC and The Swde say, Brian, Lulu's covers are very very good. Thanks for the songs that I'm about to listen too.