Monday, April 21, 2014

UK Indie Hits: 1980-89 (No. 26)

I'm counting down my top 50 singles from the golden age of the UK Independent Charts.

26. Mighty Mighty - "Throwaway"

Other Contenders: Through the years, "Everybody Knows the Monkey" is the one that has popped up on compilations. The band is well known for "Law" from NME's 'C86,' but that one was never a single. "Is There Anyone Out There?" is really the only other song I considered, but "Throwaway" was the runaway choice for me. Incidentally, "Is There Anyone Out There?" was voted No. 44 on John Peel's Festive Fifty in 1986.

Chart Entry: Dec. 27, 1986

Peak Position: No. 7

Comment: "Throwaway" was the third of six charting singles for Mighty Mighty between 1986 and 1988 and the first for label Chapter 22. A version of it also came as a flexidisc with Baby Honey fanzine in 1987. If you're stuck with that one, I would be happy to take it off your hands. I dig the jangle and Pete Geoghegan's vintage Vox sound, but it's Russell Burton's Morrissey-like vocal that carries the day. As the cover illustrates, "throwaway, like the bubblegum when the flavor's gone, might as well throwaway." My favorite line, however, is when Burton pleas, "am I really so disposable?" An absolute C86-era classic. Beware. If you click on the link above, you're guaranteed to get nothing done the rest of the day.

Buy "Throwaway" on 'Pop Can: The Definitive Collection 1986-1988.'

No comments: