Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Huddle Up... It's New Go! Team

Am I alone in the sentiment that it's damn difficult to put on a Go! Team record and listen from beginning to end? I liked 'Thunder, Lightning, Strike' when it came out five years ago, but it's just so dense. It's like Phil Spector went crazy. Wait, that analogy isn't going to work, is it? Anyway, by the time the band followed up with 'Proof of Youth' a few years ago, it all started to sound the same to me.

Before "T.O.R.N.A.D.O" hit the blogosphere a few weeks ago I can honestly say I had not listened to the Go! Team in years. Unfortunately, the song sounded like more of the same. So, I assumed the new album, 'Rolling Blackouts,' out Feb. 1 on Memphis Industries, would prove they are, indeed, a one-note pony. Surprisngly, another song is making the rounds this week that has caused me to have some optimism. "Buy Nothing Day" features Bethany Cosentino of Best Coast on lead vocals, and every aspect of the tune is greatly toned down by Go! Team standards. I'm happy to confirm this approach completely works. You can stream it below. Check out "T.O.R.N.A.D.O." too. If you're a fan, you probably won't be disappointed. Mark your calendars. "Buy Nothing Day" will be out as a 7" and digital download on Jan. 24.

The Go! Team - T.O.R.N.A.D.O. (mp3)

Buy Nothing Day by threeminutesthirtyseconds

No comments: