Wednesday, July 8, 2009

First Listen: Air and The Cribs


Uh-oh. I just heard the first single from Air's 'Love 2', and it was not quite what I was expecting. As you know from my preview a couple of weeks ago, I have been looking forward to this moment for a long time. I have enjoyed the mature sound of the last couple of albums much more than the '10,000 Hz Legend' and, to a lesser extent, 'Moon Safari' songs from their youth. I made the assumption (wrongly, it appears), the French duo would continue to move in that direction. Perhaps it's a midlife crisis. What do you think? 'Love 2' hits the streets Oct. 6. I'll try to remain optimistic (or unpack my dancing shoes).

Air - Do The Joy (mp3)

I wrote about The Cribs' new album last week, and now we get a sneak peek at what adding Johnny Marr to the fold has done to their sound. For 24 hours, the record's opener, "Abort the Aborted", was made available on their Web site. Thanks lads. They definitely sound more expansive and confident on this one, but it's still very much the kind of anthem we have come to expect from them. We'll hear the rest when 'Ignore the Ignorant' is released Sept. 7.

The Cribs - We Were Aborted (mp3)

No comments: