Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Cover Me Impressed: 'And Suddenly'

A while back we talked about how 1979 was one of the best years for popular music. I would contend 1966 should also be in that argument, and I would submit the Left Banke's chamber-pop hits "Walk Away Renée" and "Pretty Ballerina" as part of my evidence. A fine album containing these songs followed in 1967, including personal favorite "She May Call You Up Tonight," but the band's roster quickly disintegrated.

There was a non-album single in March 1967 with mastermind Michael Brown being joined by a group of session musicians, a new lead singer in Bert Sommer and an unknown guitarist in Michael McKean. You would know him a little later as Lenny on 'Laverne & Shirley,' David St. Hubbins on 'This Is Spinal Tap' and in all of those great mockumentaries done by Christopher Guest. Disgruntled original members of the Left Banke called for a boycott of the single, and their efforts were rewarded. "Ivy, Ivy" was nothing but a footnote, stalling at a dismal No. 119. The B-side of the single was the better song anyway, and that's what is featuring today. In case you're curious, Brown reunited with many of those original members soon after, but the magic of 1966 was gone.

The Left Banke - And Suddenly (1967)

In 1968, "And Suddenly" was covered by a psychedelic outfit from D.C. called the Cherry People. It was a minor hit, peaking at No. 44. Blech.



Straight outta Cardiff, the School has probably been my favorite indie-pop band this decade. By favorite, I mean it's one of those groups where I'm obsessed with gathering their work well beyond the three excellent albums Liz Hunt & Co. have released thus far, and they have a mess of non-album B-sides and appearances on comps.

The School's stab at "And Suddenly" comes from a six-volume 7" split-single series Slumberland Records did in 2008 and 2009 called "Searching for the Now." There are some fantastic appearances in this series from a who's who of Slumberland's stable at that time, including the Pains of Being Pure at Heart and Liechtenstein. The School appeared as the A-side on the final single in the series. At the time, all the School had under their belts were a couple of singles. It's a fine and faithful version but one that on vinyl is marred by a murky sound often found with colored vinyl. (This one is black-and-gray marble.) As I listen today, I wish for more trumpet from Fran Dimech, like the original, but she had not yet joined the band.

The School - And Suddenly (2009)

6 comments:

Rol said...

I can see why you put these together, Brian. Despite being released 4 decades apart, they have a similar something. Liked the Left Banke tune, though I still prefer the Four Tops version of Walk Away, Renee... with Billy Bragg's "version" a close second.

C said...

Well I never knew that about Michael McKean, I do like these little nuggets of info!
1966 always seemed a good year for music to me too. When it comes to the Left Banke though, my personal favourite is the slightly later 'Desirée'.

Brian said...

C, You make a good point about 'Desirée.' The highlight of The Left Banke Too. A strange album in that Brown took a real back seat to the other band members. I think he only wrote one or two of the songs, although I'm pretty sure 'Desirée' was one of them.

Rol, Those names make me want to do a post of Walk Away Renee right now. Any excuse to pull out the Four Tops. I have a nice semi-solo version by Marshall Crenshaw I have always liked too. Acoustic guitar, accordion and voice.

Alyson said...

Well, very much on the same wavelength this week Brian as I have written about the Left Banke over at my place too. By the time I'd written my first 100 posts I had made a quite a discovery - My favourite year for looking back nostalgically has been 1967 and a lot of that because I warm so much to orchestral/baroque pop. Don't Walk Away Renee is fabulous - I look forward to your forthcoming post on the song?!

Brian said...

Amazing how often we write about bands at the same time, Alyson. I like an awful lot from 1967 too. Did you see my note about not being able to comment at your place?

Alyson said...

Brian - Yes I did retrieve your comment from "spam" and approved it, so sorry about that! I have now replied however things have moved on apace as now the oldest record shop in the UK has stopped selling that particular artist's albums. We are living through bizarre times and having just watched the news in the UK this morning, it's all about to get even more extreme.