Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Summer Reading Program Continues

Next book up came yesterday, and I couldn't be more excited to get to the hammock to read about someone I have always wanted to talk to over a pint or two. Legendary A&R man and label cofounder Seymour Stein has finally penned his memoir, 'Siren Song: My Life in Music', and I'm hoping he has much to say about meeting and signing many of my favorite bands from the late 1970s and 1980s. I feel a little guilty about buying this book through a certain online giant instead of my local mom-and-pop shop, but I have to tell you I clicked the button in the morning and had it on my front porch just a few hours later... and I didn't pay a cent for shipping. That's pretty tough to beat. I'm hooked.

As expected, my dive into the music of Stein's Sire Records has already begun. That's where I'll probably stay on these pages for the next few posts. Let's start with a few from the excellent 'Just Say Yes' sampler series made famous in the late '80s. The first volume is at least partially responsible for me getting my first CD player. Sire's established acts were often represented by a remix, live performance or some other rarity not found on their latest album. For up-and-comers that may only have this one chance to get your attention, the label would usually give the listener one of their best. There will be plenty of time for the legends of Sire later in the week, but let's start with this lot of not quites. Each received a coveted slot on a Sire sampler (two in the case of Figures on a Beach) but still didn't quite become household names. Hey, they can't all be Ramones.

Figures on a Beach - No Stars (from 'Just Say Yes...' 1987)
A House - Call Me Blue (from 'Just Say Yo', 1988)
Royal Crescent Mob - Nanana (from 'Just Say Mao', 1989)
Bradford - Gang of One (from 'Just Say Da', 1990)

4 comments:

Charity Chic said...

some new ones to explore there Brian.
A House is the only name that rings the dimmest of bells

Unknown said...

Those Sire records samplers were amazing. I have all of them in my collection. They got me into a lot of bands that I probably would have never heard if not for these.

Brian said...

Welcome, Charles!

JC said...

I had no idea Mr Stein had written such a book.....didn't make too many end of year lists or I'd have seen it. Must order as soon as I've finished those that came in at Xmas