Tuesday, August 28, 2018

America Invades an Ally

Associates. Aztec Camera. The Bluebells. The Cure. The (English) Beat. Erasure. Everything But the Girl. Fad Gadget. The Farm. James. Madness. Modern English. My Bloody Valentine. The Rezillos. Ride. Pet Shop Boys. Primal Scream. The Soup Dragons. The Undertones. The Wild Swans. Yaz. These are just a few of the UK bands Seymour Stein's Sire Records brought to America. An impressive list, but of all Steins's UK imports, the ones he most seems proud of, based on space given in his memoir, are Soft Cell, Depeche Mode, the Smiths and, especially, Echo & the Bunnymen. It has been a while since we have had Soft Cell on these pages. Let's listen to the duo today.

In his book 'Siren Song: My Life in Music,' Stein's description of the Soft Cell frontman in 1981 is unforgettable, if not apt. "Marc Almond was absolutely the gayest Englishman I'd ever seen, which is saying something. It didn't make a difference if he was on- or offstage, he minced about in leather costumes, wearing this dirty grin like he'd just stepped out of the toilet of an S&M bar. I loved him. He was one of those 'I yam what I yam' characters but with a unique voice that made everything he sang his own." Stein called 'Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret' "brilliantly filthy party music but with really romping, singable tunes."

Stein thought "Tainted Love" could be a hit in America, but he didn't quite expect this "dirty English joke" and "ass-spanking piece of vinyl" to be bought "by Yanks in places like Colorado and Texas. There really is no business like show business." Stein's favorite from the boys, however, was "Say Hello Wave Goodbye," and he did everything he could to make it a hit over here. When it didn't happen, a few years later, he even tried to get hot new band A-ha to cover it. Hmm. Stein has a hell of an ear, but I'm not sure about that one. Stein describes the song as "a slow burner," but "its stunning chorus sent shivers down my spine." Now there we are in complete agreement.

Say Hello Wave Goodbye

12 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Can’t see Soft Cell going down a storm in Trump Central somehow!

drew said...

I got as far as this album last night in my cataloguing on Discogs and was tempted to play it but just cleaned it put it back and played Sydney Eloise and The Palms instead which I am in two minds as to whether should be filed under S but if not where?

Echorich said...

Stein's not wrong. Say Hello Wave Goodbye is one of those songs that takes so much out of you, you dare not play it on repeat for fear of not being able to get out of you chair or off your bed. Marc's delivery, against, initially, Dave minimal synths, is tense, biting and angry. Then those gorgeous "how did they get that sound in '81" synth strings embellish the real regret Marc is hiding over and over in the chorus. The line that get's me is "take a look, at my face, for the last time." It's touching and yet ominous in the way Marc delivers it.

Brian said...

A headline that draws you in, eh, CC?

Drew! Good to hear from you. I would put a Lloyd Cole and the Commotions in the Cs for Cole. My exception would be if the name at the front is not a real person in the band, such as Danny Wilson or Jesse Garon and the Depserados. Then it's the letter D for Danny and J for Jesse. I hope the Swede weighs in on this since he owned a shop for years and would know how to handle such things. The way you do it is certainly not wrong.

Echorich, I thought I might hear from you. You're probably the biggest fan of Soft Cell I know. This is my favorite song by Soft Cell. I like how Stein says Almond has a unique voice that made everything he sang his own. He probably had Tainted Love in mind when he wrote that, but I secretly hope he was thinking about What. I like that cover even better. I just noticed I listed the Hives as one of Stein's UK signees. Duh. That's a mistake I must rectify immediately.

Charity Chic said...

E I think Drew

Dirk said...

I see where you're coming from with (filing) Danny Wilson and Jesse Garon, Brian. I must confess though that I've given up years ago on these thoughts: for me it's Danny Wilson under "D", Jesse Garon & The Desperados under "J", and both Sydney Eloise and The Palms and Soft Cell under "S" ... not that I own records by any of those apart from the latter, but following this simple rule makes life much easier for me!

George said...

At this very moment I am listening to A-Ha covering Say Hello Wave Goodbye. And if you think THAT's bad you should listen to their cover of Question Of Lust (Depeche Mode song).

Pop Judge said...

Say Hello Wave Goodbye was always the most popular sing-along song on the way home after gigs in our band van. On the 7" b-side is an instrumental version - perfect for karaoke as the genuine backing track, also great back in the day when backing tracks were not so available.

Echorich said...

Brian - you are so right! What! is just a sensational cover, it is completely Marc and Dave's as far as I'm concerned. What those boys could do with a Northern Soul track to bring it to seedy Soho, London was devilishly magical!
Off to Barcelona in 9 hours and Soft Cell and Marc Almond will sound track my plane ride!

Anonymous said...

Just got the keychains and snowstorms box set - it is a bit if slightly weird set in that doesn't include the full albums instead 12" and their b sides some redone stuff by Dave Ball using original masters , rare versions , live versions, early material etc. The redone stuff generally works well but does make you wish for the full lps instead

Brian said...

FoRW, As much as I like Soft Cell, I'm on the fence with the box set. Disappointed to hear about all of the tech problems with the DVD, but there is enough in there I don't have to at least raise a brow.

Anonymous said...

Not heard about the tech problems - better watch the dvd pronto, It is almost worth it for the extended version of Forever the Same - always one of my favourite tracks and now over 10 mins of pure intensity. Most of the very early stuff is of interest only - Memerobilia was such a quantum leap forward.