Friday, August 17, 2018

Monkeein' Around

I have been waiting all day to get home to listen to these covers. This one is inspired by today's post on the Monkees by the Blogfather, as well as the accompanying comments from JTFL and others.

First up is Japanese band Plastics with their weird and wonderful take on "Last Train to Clarksville" from their 1980 debut album 'Welcome Plastics'. I picked this one up on a small rack of CDs a few feet from washing machines and fridges at a home store while living in Japan 25 years ago. You can't make this stuff up.

"She" is my favorite song from the Monkees, and I think Terry Hall and the gang of the Colourfield made it all their own in 1987... tympani and all. JTFL reminded us back in '92 the Wedding Present released a limited-edition single every month, and each B-side was an inspired cover. "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and the other songs on those singles were then collected on the comps 'Hit Parade 1' and 'Hit Parade 2'.

On to another Japanese release, but I paid a small fortune for 'Wonderful World of Wondermints' as an import in '96 while living in Washington, D.C. "Porpoise Song", penned by the legendary Goffin-King team and recorded by the Monkees for the trippy 'Head' soundtrack, is the kind of beautiful production we have come to expect from Brian Wilson's backing band.

Plastics - Last Train to Clarksville
The Colourfield - She
The Wedding Present - Pleasant Valley Sunday
Wondermints - Porpoise Song

Finally, I direct your attention to British Invasion minor leaguers Liverpool Five. I have been looking for this 7" for many years, but it continues to elude me.

8 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Great stuff Brian
The only one I'm familiar with is the Weddos

TheRobster said...

Both the Sex Pistols and the Soup Drogons covered Stepping Stone too.
Back in the mid-90s, when I was still playing in a band, the lead singer and I played a handful of acoustic shows as The Ren & Stimpy Acoustic Sideshow. We did a version of Daydream Believer which I sang. Thankfully none of the shows were recorded, but if they were, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to hear them...

Swiss Adam said...

The Farm did Stepping Stone too.

Brian said...

Minor Threat as well. Many of us have a soft spot for the Monkees.

Rol said...

Great choices. The Colourfield may well be my favourite Terry Hall band...a controversial statement, I know!

Nic said...

Thanks. Some great stuff here. BTW, first heard the Plastics cover on one of those eclectic NME free cassettes.
Keep up the good work.

Brian said...

Ah, yes, Nic. Dancin’ Master was a fine comp and the way many of us discovered Plastics.

MisterPrime said...

I read a thing where Ian MacKaye said that every early eighties Hardcore band in America did a cover of Wire's 12XU - I'd imagine 'Steppin' Stone' was a similar story. Shame really, given that it's not even all that good of a Monkees song. Presumably because it ticks the boxes marked 'easy to play' and 'full of attitude...!'