Saturday, May 26, 2018

One That Got Away

As I was refiling several records in the letter G section, I came upon my very beat up copy of Al Green's 'Greatest Hits' and thought what a shame it was to have skipped. Sure, this is one of those scraping the surface collections, but this was a pivotal album in my youth and one that helped me stray into a genre much different than the punk, post-punk and new wave I was listening to at the time. Never mind if it was Orange Juice that brought me here. Point is, I got there, and it wasn't long before I had a whole mess o' soul. I skipped the good reverend because my vinyl is in sorry shape, but I present Green's music today via the 42-song double CD reissue I bought a few years ago to replace it. Thanks for everything, Mr. Green. It's been an education.

Tired of Being Alone
L-O-V-E Love

7 comments:

Jez said...

Ah, the Reverend Green. What a voice. Tired of Being Alone is only tarnished by the memory of Texas's version. You can't add to perfection, so don't bother.

Charity Chic said...

As Jez said
Always good to hear the Reverend - especially on a Sunday

Brian said...

Amen, brothers.

Pop Judge said...

Let's Stay Together is may favourite love song. Probably the song I wish I'd written. I almost mis-typed Let's Stray Together, not a bad song title actually.

drew said...

the musical equivalent of dunking digestives in melted Galaxy chocolate.

George said...

There's not enough Al Green being posted on this blog, Brian.

Brian said...

Not nearly enough, George. This was his first appearance. Sigh.

That so works for me, Drew.

JP, You never cease to surprise me with your tastes. There is a story to be told there with a song called Let's Stray Together too.