Thursday, May 17, 2018

ABCs of My Vinyl Collection (Letter G, Part 14)

JC featured the Groovy Little Numbers in his Scottish songs series two months ago, and you can get a rundown of their second of two EPs the band released on legendary label 53 & 3rd over at his place. Here are the three songs from the first EP. I don't have the original 12". Rather, I have this on a comp Avalanche Records released in 1998 that covers both EPs. I'm picturing it with the BMX Bandits comp above, also from Avalanche, because I always listen to them together. If you're interested, here is a recap of the day I bought these two records at Avalanche in Edinburgh. One of the best days ever! As for the songs, Joe McAlinden wrote the first two. A-side "You Make My Head Explode" would be the band's only hit, peaking at No. 25 on the UK indie chart in early '88. Catherine Steven takes a turn on lead vocals with the closer, and I just can't resist Mairi Cameron's wonderful trumpet on this grittier version of the Association hit from 1967. Genius!

You Make My Head Explode
Hey! Hey!
Windy

3 comments:

drew said...

Jeez this takes me back to Saturdays going in to Glasgow getting gear from Flip and going over the road to the Rock Garden for a pint or two of Moosehead if not on the scooter, one if I was. Uniform, faded 2nd hand 501s, 1" turnups, oxblood Docs, a US Navy White short sleeved shirt or bowling shirt, MA1 of course and a perfect Flat Top.

Brian said...

You have pained a wonderful picture, Drew. I hope when you get on the scooter these days you can still capture even a little bit of the salad days on your trips to Mono.

JC said...

I found out earlier this year that Joe McAlinden is a cousin of the wife of a very good friend of mine....I've known my mate's wife since 1984 and this is the first she's told me. Can't wait to gatecrash her next family get-together (unless it's a funeral, in which case it can wait...)