Wednesday, May 23, 2018

ABCs of My Vinyl Collection (Letter G, Part 16)

Today's selection will conclude this round of the letter G. For various reasons, I have skipped several favorites, including Game Theory, Grandaddy, Gene, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, the Granite Shore, the Goon Sax and Green on Red, to name but a few. All I can say is there is a method to the madness, and one of your favorites might have been omitted because it was a relatively new release or had already featured on these pages. I assure you just about everything I have will pop up here eventually. At any rate, I agree with our pal George this letter has been one of our more interesting stops so far. I especially enjoyed listening to Gang of Four again. It had been a long while, and I have been spinning it with regularity for weeks now.

Let's wrap things up with a rather rare vinyl format. Here in America, you could get the 2006 EP "From the Cliffs" by Guillemots as a double 10" with gatefold sleeve via Verve Records. I could be wrong, but I believe it's the only 2x10" in my entire collection. Everything I have heard by Guillemots has been good, and there have been some hits, but I don't believe Fyfe Dangerfield and his band ever eclipsed their first single, "Trains to Brazil". It's an old story, a group putting out their best straight out of the chute, and even if Guillemots had never put out another song, the band would have been immortal. It's that unforgettable. Dangerfield says "Trains to Brazil" is about appreciating life. Sounds good to me.

Trains to Brazil

4 comments:

drew said...

Love the Guilliemots. Live they are extremely bizarre. At the QMU gig, they entered through the crowd banging a drum. There were some strange moments when Dangerfield sang with the accompaniment of a kids toy trumpet or something and the guitarist, MC Lord Magroa used a power drill on his guitar and i don’t think played one conventional chord all night. They were absolutely magic, although L and my brother in law just didn’t get it.

Anonymous said...

They have kind of vanished having announced they were going to release 4 lps in a year one for each season. The 1st lp is magical the others a bit patchier but always interesting and ambitious. Wish I had seen them lIve after reading Drew’s comment

Brian said...

I had the same feeling when I read Drew's comment too, FoRW!

Pop Judge said...

I got into The guillemots on the Walk The River album after hearing a neighbour playing it over the garden fence. I went to see them live a couple of months later and they only played 2 songs from it!