Wednesday, November 9, 2016

ABCs of My Vinyl Collection (Letter D, Part 1)

No messing about today. I'm not in the mood. Let's just get to it. The soundtrack to the 1981 movie 'Dance Craze' features some of the best from ska's second wave performing live, and all but two of these acts will get their own day later in this series. Lately, I feel like I have been focusing on albums from my youth that haven't had much play this century. For me, bands like the (English) Beat, Madness, the Selecter and the Specials never get old, and I still play them as much as I ever did. Bad Manners might be an exception, but I do love the horns on this particular song. As for the Bodysnatchers, their entire discography consists of two singles, but both of them are keepers. "Easy Life" has the kind of message that made the Specials famous. Many of the ladies in the Bodysnatchers would be gracing the charts just a year later as the Belle Stars.

In June 2010, I had a quick series on the second wave called Ska Week. Inspired name, eh? To this day, they are my most viewed posts. Apparently, I'm not alone in my love for these bands.

Bad Manners - "Lip Up Fatty" (Live)
The Bodysnatchers - "Easy Life" (Live)

5 comments:

Echorich said...

Fantastic album...need to get this on the iPhone to play in the car. But today is a gray day, it's a day to mourn my countries immediate future and hope that the next 4 years don't negatively impact the next 40 years.
Thanks for taking away some of the Fog Brian, music seems to have really become a refuge since early January of this year and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Brian said...

Thanks, Echorich. I didn't have the passion for Hillary that you did, but I sure as hell voted for her anyway. I mistakenly assumed it was a given. As you say, let's escape the way we always do and play records.

Misterprime said...

Saw the Specials at 'the Legendary' Rock City just a couple of weeks ago, Brian. Still Great. As we do our best both sides of the Atlantic to return to the late 70's politically this stuff is still chillingly relevant...

Brian said...

Right on, Misterprime. Still a very hard-working band. Have even hit my neck of the woods in recent years. Seems their words will always have meaning. Hope all is well with you.

The Swede said...

Just back home after a week away and am still struggling to come to terms with the latest twists in this largely catastrophic year. I struggle to understand the American system where one candidate gains the lion's share of the votes, only to see the other become president.
T'is true, music is our only refuge in these dark days.