Thursday, March 22, 2012

Song Recycle: Van Dyke Parks to New Label

Bella Union is quickly ascending the ranks of my favorite labels. I have had Veronica Falls on my turntable almost nonstop. Now there is news that three seminal albums from Van Dyke Parks will be reissued by the upstart label this June.

I really discovered Parks about 20 years ago when I got my first 'SMiLE' bootleg. I immediately followed that up with a Parks single-disc best-of package on Diablo Records called 'Idiosyncratic Path.' It's out of print now, but if you don't have any of his work, what a great place to start! The entire 19-song record is comprised of the three albums Bella Union will be reissuing... 'Song Cycle' (1968), 'Discover America' (1972) and 'Clang Of The Yankee Reaper' (1975). I already own two of these planned reissues, but 'Discover America' has somehow eluded me. So, this announcement has made my day.

To whet your appetite, here's one of my favorites from the Americana pioneer.

Van Dyke Parks - Clang of the Yankee Reaper (mp3)

No comments: