Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Third Coming of the Stone Roses

I seem to be in the minority here, but I'm not all that excited about the Stones Roses reuniting. Because I'm older than the hills, this is the kind of nostalgia trip I usually dig, and the band was huge during some pretty formative years for me, at least musically, but the truth of the matter is these blokes made one stellar album (although it didn't even make my Top 40 albums of the 1980s), a less interesting followup several years later ('Second Coming'), and then called it quits. Am I the only one that felt yesterday's press conference and the subsequent coverage has been way over the top? This is like nominating Guns 'N Roses for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. There's just not enough material here for all of the pomp and circumstance. I would have respected the band more if they had quietly made a new record and let the fans decide whether this media circus is warranted.

On the other hand, NME (perhaps the biggest culprit in this frenzy) is reporting sales of the Stone Roses back catalog is through the roof this week. If the reunion gets young lads to check out their self-titled debut, I'm all for that. Here is a live take of what I think is the highlight of that album.

No comments: