Monday, October 31, 2011

Cover Me Impressed: 'I Put a Spell on You'

I'm always amazed the late Screamin' Jay Hawkins' biggest moment on wax, 'I Put a Spell on You,' dates all the way back to 1956. If, by chance, a white-bread kid with a crewcut got a hold of this one when it came out, he must have been shakin' in his penny loafers. The cover from She & Him I'm including here can be found on a hard-to-find 2009 compilation Starbucks put out for Valentine's Day called 'Sweetheart: Our Favorite Artists Sing Their Favorite Love Songs.' You can also get it from Merge as a digital download b/w a radio-session version of the duo's song 'Lingering Still.' M. Ward and Zooey Deschanel have a much jazzier take than Hawkins' wild original, but I think you will enjoy both. Happy Halloween! Stay safe!

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - I Put a Spell on You (mp3)
She & Him - I Put a Spell on You (mp3)

More Cover Me Impressed:
"Johnny, Are You Queer?"
"Superman"
"Voices"
"Almost Saturday Night"
"Too Many Teardrops"
"Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me"
"They Don't Know"
"Everybody's Talkin'"
"What Goes On"
"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out"
Halloween Edition
"Porpoise Song"
"Prairie Rose"
"Come On Eileen"
"Walking On Thin Ice"
Jason Falkner Edition
"True Love Will Find You In The End"
"This Will Be Our Year"
"You're My Favorite Waste of Time"
"Nightime/Thirteen"
"The End Of The World"
"(Don't Go Back To)Rockville"
"God Only Knows"
"And Your Bird Can Sing"
"So Sad About Us"
"Everywhere"
"Walking The Cow"

No comments: