Monday, April 4, 2011

Dedicated Follower of Kinks

Well, here we go again. One of my favorite bands is about to get the reissue treatment. This puts me in a tight spot. Do I spend the dough on albums I already own for all of the bells and whistles that come with it this time around? I keep doing it over and over for Costello, Bowie and others. So, I don't see myself drawing a line in the sand now that seven fine albums by the Kinks are getting deluxe editions. The first three of those reissues come out two weeks from Tuesday, and they just happen to be their first three albums. Here is the complete reissues rundown:

April 19
'Kinks' (1964)
'Kinda Kinks' (1965)
'The Kink Kontroversy' (1965)

May
'Arthur (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire)' (1969)
'Muswell Hillbillies' (1971)

July
'Face to Face' (1966)
'Something Else' (1967)

All of these versions will be double-disc editions chock full of rarities, outtakes, demos and session tracks. For example, the band's self-titled debut has gone from 17 songs to a whopping 55. As I mentioned before, this is no time to draw a line in the sand. Here are the tracklists and a little something to sway you to shell out the shekels. I don't want to be the only sucker.

The Kinks - Too Much Monkey Business (Unreleased Alternate Take) (mp3)

'Kinks'
Disc 1:
1. Beautiful Delilah
2. So Mystifying
3. Just Can't Go to Sleep
4. Long Tall Shorty
5. I Took My Baby Home
6. I'm a Lover Not a Fighter
7. You Really Got Me
8. Cadillac
9. Bald Headed Woman
10. Revenge
11. Too Much Monkey Business
12. I've Been Driving on Bald Mountain
13. Stop Your Sobbing
14. Got Love If You Want It
15. I Believed You
16. I'm a Hog For You Baby
17. I Don't Need You Anymore
18. Everybody's Gonna Be Happy (Alternate Version)
19. Long Tall Sally (Mono Single)
20. You Still Want Me (Mono Single)
21. You Do Something to Me (Mono Single)
22. It's Alright (Mono Single)
23. All Day And All of the Night (Mono Single)
24. I Gotta Move (Mono Single)
25. Louie Louie (Mono EP)
26. I've Got That Feeling (Mono EP)
27. I Gotta Go Now (Mono EP)
28. Things Are Getting Better (Mono EP)

Disc 2:
1. Beautiful Delilah (Mono)
2. So Mystifying (Mono)
3. Just Can't Go to Sleep (Mono)
4. Long Tall Shorty (Mono)
5. I Took My Baby Home (Mono)
6. I'm a Lover Not a Fighter (Mono)
7. You Really Got Me (Mono)
8. Cadillac (Mono)
9. Bald Headed Woman (Mono)
10. Revenge (Mono)
11. Too Much Monkey Business (Mono)
12. I've Been Driving on Bald Mountain (Mono)
13. Stop Your Sobbing (Mono)
14. Got Love If You Want It (Mono)
15. Don't Ever Let Go (Mono)
16. I Don't Need You Anymore (Mono)
17. Bald Headed Woman (U.S. Mono Mix)
18. Too Much Monkey Business (Alternate Take)
19. Got Love If You Want It (Alternate Take)
20. Meet The Kinks (BBC Interview)
21. Cadillac (BBC Session)
22. Ray Talks About "You Really Got Me" (BBC Interview)
23. You Really Got Me (BBC Session)
24. Little Queenie (BBC Session)
25. I'm a Lover Not a Fighter (BBC Session)
26. All Day and All of the Night (BBC Session)
27. Ray Talks About the U.S.A. (BBC Interview)

'Kinda Kinks'
Disc 1:
1. Look for Me Baby
2. Got My Feet on the Ground
3. Nothin' in the World Can Stop Me Worryin' 'Bout That Girl
4. Naggin' Woman
5. I Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight
6. Tired of Waiting for You
7. Dancing in the Street
8. Don't Ever Change
9. Come On Now
10. So Long
11. You Shouldn't Be Sad
12. Something Better Beginning

Disc 2:
1. Everybody's Gonna Be Happy (Mono Single)
2. Who'll Be the Next in Line (Mono Single)
3. Set Me Free (Mono Single)
4. I Need You (Mono Single)
5. See My Friend (Mono Single)
6. Never Met a Girl Like You Before (Mono Single)
7. A Well Respected Man (Mono EP)
8. Such a Shame (Mono EP)
9. Wait Till the Summer Comes Along (Mono EP)
10. Don't You Fret (Mono EP)
11. I Go to Sleep (Demo Version)
12. When I See That Girl of Mine (Demo Version)
13. Tell Me Now So I'll Know (Demo Version)
14. A Little Bit of Sunlight (Demo Version)
15. There's a New World Just Opening for Me (Demo Version)
16. This I Know (Demo Version)
17. See My Friends (Alternate Take)
18. Come On Now (Alternate Vocal)
19. You Shouldn't Be Sad (BBC Session)
20. Tired of Waiting for You (BBC Session)
21. Everybody's Gonna Be Happy (BBC Session)
22. This Strange Effect (BBC Session)
23. Hide and Seek (BBC Session)

'The Kink Kontroversy'
Disc 1:
1. Milk Cow Blues
2. Ring the Bells
3. Gotta Get the First Plane Home
4. When I See That Girl of Mine
5. I Am Free
6. Till the End of the Day
7. The World Keeps Going Round
8. I'm on an Island
9. Where Have All the Good Times Gone
10. It's Too Late
11. What's in Store for Me
12. You Can't Win

Disc 2:
1. Dedicated Follower of Fashion (Mono Single)
2. Sittin' on My Sofa (Mono Single)
3. I'm Not Like Everybody Else (Mono Single)
4. Mr. Reporter (Outtake)
5. Dedicated Follower Of Fashion (Alternate Take)
6. Time Will Tell (Outtake)
7. And I Will Love You (Unissued EP Track)
8. I'm Not Like Everybody Else (Alternate Vocal)
9. All Night Stand (Demo)
10. Milk Cow Blues (BBC Session)
11. Ray Talks About Songwriting (BBC Interview)
12. Never Met a Girl Like You Before (BBC Session)
13. Wonder Where My Baby Is Tonight (BBC Session)
14. Pete Talks About Records (BBC Interview)
15. Till the End of the Day (BBC Session)
16. A Well Respected Man (BBC Session)
17. Where Have All the Good Times Gone (BBC Session)

No comments: