Monday, January 25, 2021

Monday's Long Song

There is a tradition in these parts my fellow bloggers participate in that they aptly call Monday's Long Song. I rarely join in because, well, I'm all about the pop, meaning I have very few songs on the shelf that last longer than three minutes. Got a good one today, though, and it's a cover to boot. This one popped into my head when our pal Rol assembled his top 10 songs affiliated with the recently deceased Phil Spector. "My Sweet Lord" was on there, and it would have been on my list too. I think the flip side to the single from 1970 just may have made the cut as well.

Seems like at least once a year I try to convince you to purchase 'The Palace at 4AM,' the post-Wilco album Jay Bennett released with Edward Burch in 2002. During that same period, Bennett and Burch recorded a cover of "Isn't It a Pity" for 'Songs From The Material World (A Tribute To George Harrison).' Like so many tribute albums, the songs are hit and miss, and I'm on the fence about recommending it. Highlights come from fanatics like the Smithereens and Todd Rundgren. For me, though, this is the tops. Like the original, it's a slow builder. Stick with it the full seven-plus minutes. You'll be glad you did.

Isn't It a Pity

2 comments:

The Swede said...

What a great call Brian. I love 'The Palace at 4AM', but until now was unaware of this cover. I just followed your link to see who else crops up on the Harrison tribute and then on to YouTube to find out what a couple of the tracks sound like. The phrase mixed bag springs to mind!

Brian said...

Like I said, Swede, not one you probably need but a few bright spots. Even some of the acts I like are iffy, such as Dave Davies. I sort of wish the bands had stuck to solo Harrison. I think it could have been more interesting. As for Jay Bennett, I'm a huge fan. He is missed. I'm one of many who think Wilco was never as good after the split with Tweedy. Really happy to hear we have The Palace at 4AM in common.