Friday, December 11, 2020

Catching Up on 2019 (Part 1)

As I wait for a few records to come in from overseas before tackling my best-of lists for 2020, I'm going to spend a few posts highlighting a handful from 2019 that should have been on my countdowns last year but didn't get purchased until 2020. Here's one that would have ranked high on my reissues list.

I don't care one lick who gets into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but I did smile when I heard the Zombies were going to be inducted in 2019. If I ran the show, they would have been a charter member, but I digress. To celebrate and capitalize on the event, label Varese Sarabande pushed out 'The Complete Studio Recordings,' a 5LP box set done on 180-gram black vinyl. When it came out, I felt the price was a little high. I was rewarded for my patience. As with all "complete studio recordings," there are songs missing, such as the covers of "Road Runner" and "Sticks and Stones," but the label did come pretty close to living up to the billing

'The Complete Studio Recordings' was made for the American market. At about the same time as this release, Demon Records took care of the UK market with a similar box called 'In the Beginnng.' Weird name for a collection that encompasses the band's entire life span, isn't it? The differences between the two boxes seem to be mostly (but not completely) aesthetic. The box for 'In the Beginning' isn't as nice to look at, but the UK box does have colored vinyl... if you're into that sort of thing. Die-hard fans that have both boxes give a slight edge to 'In the Beginning' because it has a cheaper price tag, but 'The Complete Studio Recordings' does have extensive liner notes from the great Andrew Sandoval that goes with two of the LPs, and that's what sold me on this box. Also, it's nice to have the original album covers on the previously released albums. I'm not a big fan of specially-themed covers (such as 'The Early Years') found on 'In the Beginning.'

Sandoval's notes are particularly important on the fifth LP, 'Oddities & Extras, since these are the songs that need introductions. It's a plus to have some historical context to go along with 'R.I.P.' as well since this is an album that sat on the shelf from 1960 to 2000. If you're a fan, the other three albums, particularly 'Odessey & Oracle' need no introduction. The vinyl on 'The Complete Studio Recordings' sound crisp, and the remastering has had few online complainers. The Decca years are in mono, and 'Odessey' and 'R.I.P.' are in stereo.

If you're happy with your copy of the 1997 CD box 'Zombie Heaven,' you may find both of these boxes a wasted opportunity, but for those of us who pray at the altar of vinyl, both 'The Complete Studio Recordings' and 'In the Beginning' have been welcome additions to the Zombies' canon. Here's a demo that appears on 'Oddities & Extras.' "A Love That Never Was" was recorded in late 1966 just as the band was moving to CBS and the making of 'Odessey & Oracle.' "As Sandoval says, "Although it would never be included on any of their proper albums or singles, it was a song that deserved a better fate." Back next time with a couple of missed albums from 2019.

A Love That Never Was

No comments: