Tuesday, January 28, 2020

What's Nick Lowe's Best Album?

I know a few of you got a visit from Santa last month and received Will Birch's excellent read 'Cruel to Be Kind: The Life and Times of Nick Lowe.' I have been wanting to get to the following question since I finished it back in the fall, and I'm hoping fans will want to participate. On page 280, Birch transitions to the chapter that covers the time around 2001 and the release of album 'The Convincer' with this sentence: "[Lowe] was now on his way to making the album that many still consider to be his best."

Does this sound right to you? It's a great album, to be sure, but I have to admit I didn't realize 'The Convincer' was held in such high esteem. I do believe, however, the Brentford Trilogy is his strongest era. Let's put Birch's bold statement to the test with a highly unscientific poll. Tell me your favorite Lowe album in the comments section. You may rant and rave about Brinsley Schwarz, Rockpile, Dave Edmunds' solo albums with Rockpile, Little Village, Carlene Cater's early '80s stuff, Lowe-produced works, whatever you fancy, but let's stick to his solo long players for the poll. Here's the list of candidates to refresh your memory.

Jesus of Cool/Pure Pop For Now People (1978)
Labour of Lust (1979)
Nick the Knife (1982)
The Abominable Showman (1983)
Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit (1984)
The Rose of England (1985)
Pinker and Prouder Than Previous (1988)
Party of One (1990)
The Impossible Bird (1994)
Dig My Mood (1998)
The Convincer (2001)
At My Age (2007)
The Old Magic (2011)
Quality Street: A Seasonal Selection for All the Family (2013)

I'll get the ball rolling with my own pick. The first three albums were hugely important in my youth, and I still pull them off the shelf often. I like a bunch of songs after that, but I didn't fall in love with another album until 'The Impossible Bird.' I have found everything since then to be vital. In the end, it's really a tossup between 'Jesus of Cool'/'Pure Pop For Now People' and 'The Impossible Bird.' The grown-up me says his first crooner, 'The Impossible Bird' is his best album. Just for kicks, I'll tell you I probably like 'The Abominable Showman' the least, but I have some bootlegs from 1983 with the "Noise to Go" band that make me wish for a time machine. OK, what says you?















6 comments:

Echorich said...

I have to go with Labor Of Lust. The simpilist reason is the first 3 tracks. They are my favorite 3 Nick Lowe tracks. # 4 is What's So Funny Bout Peace Love And Understanding - but that may be just because it's one of the great Pop songs of the 70s - maybe all time.

Charity Chic said...

I only have Jesus of Cool and then Dig My Mood and At My Age.
Dig My Mood is the one I probably listen to most although I recently played Jesus of Cool for the first time in ages and it was wonderful.
Not sure that helps

Rigid Digit said...

Jesus of Cool takes some beating - it's damn near perfect.

The Old Magic is a fine collection, proving he does still have that old magic (even if it is slightly less urgent in delivery these days)

Rol said...

Jesus of Cool. Though I also have a great fondness for his later work.

John Medd said...

The Impossible Bird. Has to be. I saw him at the Jazz Cafe in Camden when he promoted it. A sublime evening; a sublime album.

Anonymous said...

Labour of Lust. It's just one of the greatest power pop albums of all time. Jesus of Cool is damned close, but I gotta go with Labour.