Thursday, August 16, 2018

Lady Soul

I'm not at home right now to pull anything off the shelf, but I want to thank KEXP for filling my head with hour after hour of music from the Queen of Soul. If you're feeling low after the news of Aretha's death, tune in. It soothes the ache. As I said on these pages not too long ago, to my ears, Ms. Franklin's 1967-1968 four-album output of 'I Never Loved a Man the Way I Love You', 'Aretha Arrives', 'Lady Soul' and 'Aretha Now' for Atlantic is without peer. I will spin that lot tonight. In the meantime, here are five of my favorites from her distinguished career. Rest easy, Aretha.











2 comments:

drew said...

It's a tough one Brian. My twitter was full of praise for KEXP yesterday, especially Jon Richards show but I was too busy yesterday to listen!

Rol said...

Great tribute, Brian. I put my Aretha songs on mix last night and wallowed. Not listened to her in too long and it's easy to forget how many great songs - and interpretations of other people's songs - she recorded.