Tuesday, July 31, 2018

The Button Battle

I almost got whiplash in the car the other day, but it wasn't from a fender-bender. In the spring, after nearly 15 years, we got a new car. One of the perks has been free satellite radio for a spell. My 12-year-old son digs a channel called '40s Junction. That's to be expected since he plays the clarinet and is heavily into big band, but it can cause a problem in the early mornings when the grouchy family is crammed in the car being dropped off at places like work, summer camp or wherever. Mrs. LTL didn't particularly want to start her day listening to this one on my son's station...



She went for this one from a station called '60s on 6...



Fight. Fight. Oh, it was so on. Growling, each of them were tapping their stations on the screen, back and forth, and all I kept thinking as I heard a snippet of one and then the other was that this number was a big hit for Vic Damone in 1949, and the Doors has their most successful single with the other in 1969. Twenty years to get from Damone to Jim Morrison near the top of the pop chart. Mind blown. In three minutes I had an entire history lesson going on in my head as I raced through the significant changes our world witnessed in those two decades. What do you think? Has music ever had a 20-year metamorphosis like that since? This wasn't at all what I planned to write about today. Perhaps I'll have another post a little later.

Oh, and if you're scoring at home, Morrison won the day. Mrs. LTL was riding shotgun, and my son had to reach over from the back seat. War is rarely fair.

5 comments:

Charity Chic said...

For what it's worth my money would have been on Mrs LTL

The Swede said...

Despite my Dad's best efforts it took me half a lifetime to fully appreciate the genius of Basie, Ellington, Sinatra, Satchmo etc, even though when I was 12 years of age, all those people were still alive and performing. For your son to be digging big band stuff that's nearly 70 years old blows my mind. While typing this, I've tuned into 40s Junction and am thoroughly enjoying Harry James, Dick Haymes, Coleman Hawkins and the rest. And wouldn't you know it, right on cue, here comes Frank Sinatra with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. Somewhere Dad is smiling.

drew said...

Man, satellite radio in the car, you yanks don't know your born. If i could have this my car would be on KEXP most of the time.

C said...

Love this, Brian. Just the mere fact that your 12-year old wants to listen to '40s/big band music as opposed to Drake or Little Mix. I feel a strange affinity towards him - even though I don't particularly like '40s music personally, it is of course the principle! I hope he continues to enjoy staying outside of the mainstream; something tells me that with parents like you two he probably will.

Brian said...

Always bet on the Mrs., CC.

Swede, it’s a nice channel to tune into. I especially like when you hear the pops and cracks of an old 78. The little guy likes Basie, Goodman and Woody Herman best right now.

Drew, KEXP is a Seattle treasure. No argument there. If you ever get over here I will take you to their beautiful new studio.

C, He is an old soul. Jerry Lewis movies, big band music and, you’ll love this, drawing are his passions. No video games, phones or any of the other trappings of his peers. I have nothing to complain about.